Thread: Gastroenteritis.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gastroenteritis.

Daisy is going through a tough time,she started vomiting night before last and then yesterday she developed diarrhoea,I starved her for 24 hrs and just gave her water. Thankfully she's not vomiting any more but it's now exiting the other end.thank goodness for vinyl floor covering in the utility room.
    She's not passing any blood or mucus and seems lively and alert.She had a small few nuts yesterday evening(bad idea) and is still drinking and passing urine.
    Soooo, do I give her another 24 hours or make a vet appointment for this evening.I'm not sure what else we can do but keep her hydrated and let this thing pass through.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My view: when in doubt, or if something carries on longer than I expected, I always ring my vets and ask their opinion. I always feel they are best placed to evaluate the symptoms and recommend what to do. If this has been going on more than 48 hours, I probably would be going in to the vet but ring them and I am sure they will advise.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this with Pippin in the past as he can suffer with his bowel ,it's very sensitive.
    If starving for 24 hours didn't work I always called the vet.I'm sure they will advise. Let us know how it goes.Hope she is well soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like things were worse than I thought.We're back from the vet with a sick little girl.She has a bacterial infection and her tummy and bowel are filled with gas.She got two injections, one to reduce inflammation and I don't know what the second one was for because the moment she got the second jab in her neck she went for the vet like a crocodile and howled like a maniac, then she went for me and finally turned on my Husband.She screamed for about 3 minutes and finally calmed down.(Please let her not have SM)
    She's off food for another 24 hours and got antibiotics called Marbocyl(Marbofloxacinum) and hopefully she'll be able to eat quarter of her usual food tomorrow evening.
    I also got to discuss the cat problem with the Vet and to trap/neuter/release the males is €45 each, so if I can capture the first of them I can get them done on saturday week.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I never allow vets to inject in the neck or back; I always ask for the thigh so that might be a consideration in future.

Given that reaction though, you really might want to consider checking out her neck area further when she is feeling better -- I've never heard of such a reaction where the dog actually tried to attack people or owners.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sins wrote:

"She got two injections, one to reduce inflammation and I don't know what the second one was for because the moment she got the second jab in her neck she went for the vet like a crocodile and howled like a maniac, then she went for me and finally turned on my Husband"

I find that hard to believe, or else she must be in horrific pain .
    Last edited by amanda L; 7th March 2008 at 07:59 PM.
    Amanda
    Owned by doglets Elliot the Opportunist and Duchess Millie Mischief

"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us" -Gene Hill-