Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Gastroenteritis.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I would still definitely have this checked more thoroughly and consider an MRI, perhaps in the UK on the low cost schemes. I can put a question to Dr Rusbridge if you'd like but I am pretty sure she would recommend investigating further if only to eliminate this as a concern.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just to try and put your mind at ease I bet the second injection given was buscopan, given what they are treating her for and the reaction you describe. I would not jump to conclusions as yet with the sm thing as if it were a buscopan injection this is a completely normal response for 3 - 5 minutes. you could always just ring your vet and ask what the second jab was for. if i'm wrong i'm sorry and then yes go down the sm road. Good luck
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a normal reaction to any injection, including this one, being to respond in this way. I have had two dogs receive these injections for severe gastro -- Lily, twice; and Leo, who actually has SM, got it two weeks ago -- and both never had any reaction at all. I am sure my vets would have explained possible adverse reactions to it if they were known to include sudden, severe pain, as they know Leo has SM and that Lily most likely does as well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork,Ireland.
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm definitely planning to have her Mri scanned anyway as we're considering breeding her when she's 2 1/2 with an mri clear dog.
    The vet also mentioned something about expecting it to sting, but I was so thrown off base by the ensuing pandemonium with dog and children that most of it seems like a surreal dream.I was so upset I couldn't sleep last night.
    Looking back on it I can't blame poor Daisy,she was very ill at the time.
    If you take one small sick dog,crate her for an hour, have a great dane slobber over her in the waiting room,plonk her on a stainless steel table,stick a thermometer up her rear,squeeze her tummy and give ger two painful injections, I think the pain just made her lose the plot.And needless to say having the entire family in there simply terrorised her and made her panic.
    On the positive side, whatever he gave her certainly has made a huge difference.She's been six hours without having diarrhoea and is jumping around the garden after crows.
    Sins

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Scotland - east coast
    Posts
    9,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I'm so glad she's feeling better but this sounds pretty scary, and I personally would look to investigate further, and possibly MRI sooner than at 2 1/2. Obviously she was very stressed at the time but I still wouldnt' expect that kind of reaction.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin,Ireland
    Posts
    3,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad she is feeling better...I would still be a little concerned though as I have had Pippin at the vets extremely ill in the past, he used to suffer with colitis, but never had that sort of reaction to any injection and he used to get two also.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork,Ireland.
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and info.
    She's made a full recovery and has another three days of antibiotics to go.She's due vaccination boosters at the end of the month anyway so i'll try and meet with my regular vet. Once again it was a different vet that I hadn't met before.
    So ..do I once again try getting the injections in the neck and see if the reaction is the same?Because she won't be contagious I won't crate her this time and keep her calm.
    She has no obvious symptoms of Sm,you can rub her,push her and pull her around the neck area and there's no reaction at all, even tickling her tummy or back.She rarely scratches(but her eyes can often blink separately)
    Her mother is 7 and healthy, her sire 10 1/2 and grandsire will be 15 this year so even though it's no guarantee that she's healthy the odds surely must be in her favour.
    I'll see if petplan will cover the Mri scan locally first.I don't exactly cherish the thought of crossing the Irish sea at the moment in gale force winds, ideally I'd wait until May before going to Uk for scans. I'll get the info off you anyway Karlin, I know you were happy with the centre you chose to have your boys scanned.
    Sins

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Midlands UK
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi!

    I agree that this should be investigated further too, I have never had a dog react like that to an injection in over 16 years and they generally do have a high pain threshold. Hope that your insurance covers you for an MRI, keep us posted on that front won't you?

    Am very glad to hear that her tummy is settling down again now, you might want to try giving her a bit of live yogurt to help replace the natural bacteria in her gut once she has finished her anti-biotics, hope this helps??
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    So ..do I once again try getting the injections in the neck and see if the reaction is the same?Because she won't be contagious I won't crate her this time and keep her calm.
    She has no obvious symptoms of Sm,you can rub her,push her and pull her around the neck area and there's no reaction at all, even tickling her tummy or back.She rarely scratches(but her eyes can often blink separately)
    No, I would request to have all future injections in her hind leg area.

    Daisy's reaction as you described sounds similar to a SM pain episode, which I have seen many (Charlie). There is only one way to know for sure - MRI.

    Sometimes SM can be barely noticeable - Geordie has mild scratching in the morning but not during the day, and a syrinx in his neck was found on a CT scan that was supposed to be diagnosing PSOM. I can brush him, etc. with no reaction, but he has it.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm glad your little one is starting to feel better.
    I must apologise as i didn't fully read the post before I went off half cocked and somehow missed the bit about her snapping like a croc at the vet, you and your husband I just thought she screamed which I have had happen with the buscopan injection on a number of occasions with both my men. Sorry for the duff info but so glad she's doing better
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •