• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maverick's First Training Class

Melissa

Wow it was fun... except for the fact that I thought the class started at 7 but it really stared at 6 so I was 10 mins late but I didn't miss much. We practiced a thing called "sneek away" where when your dog looks or wanders away when your walking with a 15 ft lead you go the other way. It should teach them to watch you. Maverick did so good they had to use treats to make him not look at me. Everyone thought he was so cute!

Then we worked on sits and downs. They (there were there 3 trainers working with a group of I think 8 people/dogs) had us walk back and forth across the room and had them sit or down every 3 steps but made them stay in the sit of down until we gave them a release.

Then at the end she asked if there were any other issues that we wanted to adress... so there was jumping and barking and then I asked about Maverick being scared of everyone. She suggested to have strangers give him a treat and just walk away instead of having them give him a treat and then try to pet him. Off to pet co I go this weekend to test it out.

I am glad Maverick's first class went well! I am sooooo looking to signing up for training classes. The problem is that Dottie is just about 7 months old and could go into her first season anytime now. So, we just have to sit it out until her "time" has come and gone. Then we can jump in and get started! We are hoping to eventually try for Good Canine Citizen with the ultimate goal of becoming an approved therapy dog.

Maverick will be a year old on St pattys day so I don't think the waiting will hurt... unless you don't do any training at home like the people sitting next to me... yikes!

I would love Mavy to be a therapy dog but first he has to get comfortable with his space issues.

Back