• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

shiny coat

steph

Hi. Could anyone recommend anything i could give my cav to make his coat shiny. Its soft but looks a bit dull. He is 5 months old and i'm feeding him royal canine. Somebody told me to give him sardines mix into his food. Would that be ok for him to eat? THANKS

Debbiek

Hi Steph
Adding sardines to his diet is fine and wont upset things ,the reason he has a dull coat is because he still has his puppy jacket and that can sometimes be of a different texture sometimes more fluffy, by the time he is 14mnth i garentee he will have a lovely shiney coat continue with the Royal canine ,he should still be on junior right? :)

Hi there,
My pup is 4mths with a lovely shiny coat,my breeder advised me to mix a small amount of sardines to his nuts once a day.He loves his nuts with the taste of sardines:p

Hi!!

Fish and fish oil are both good for coats, personnally I add a capsule of Evening Primrose Oil to my dogs feed too! I do feel though that I must add that a good diet, lots of fresh air and exercise all play a major part in a dogs health, and the one thing that has followed throough from my days with the horses to the dogs is that that shiny glossy coat is earnt, a fit dog will have a lovely coat full of shine and bloom, not to mention a healthyheart too!! :luv: :luv:

Hi Cathryn, regarding the Evening Primrose, do you just use the same capsules that you and I would take and do you just pop them open and squeeze them onto their food? I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but as my mum would say, - "if you don't ask, you never learn" ! :)
Phoebe's mum :)

Hi Cathryn, regarding the Evening Primrose, do you just use the same capsules that you and I would take and do you just pop them open and squeeze them onto their food? I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but as my mum would say, - "if you don't ask, you never learn" ! :)
Phoebe's mum :)

I was wondering the same thing.

Holly has evening primrose oil capsules, the same as we would take, i just put them in her food and she eats them.

I've also discovered www.fish4dogs.co.uk and holly loves the fish rolls and complete food and it's great for her coat.

x

Grooming is also really important, and you want to get them used to being groomed every day from an early age. The best brushes are the Mason Pearson Boar Bristle & Nylon tufts or just the Boar Bristle tufts for finer coats. I have one of each and use the bristle only one to finish off, it gives them a lovely shine. They are expensive but last a lifetime if you look after them properly.

The cheapest I found them in t eh UK was from http://www.bearstreetpharmacy.co.uk/ but that was a few months ago.

With regard to Evening primrose oil capsules, be careful of dosage - recommended dosage according to many of the holistic vets is 250mg for a 10 to 25lb dog - the nearest I could get was 300mg capsules, or give a 500mg every other day. The human 1000mg dose is too high.

Fish skins. They shine the coat and clean the teeth , so two for one. Monty is 12 plus, but his coat is really shiny since they've had the skins.

I was wondering the same thing.

Grooming is also really important, and you want to get them used to being groomed every day from an early age. The best brushes are the Mason Pearson Boar Bristle & Nylon tufts or just the Boar Bristle tufts for finer coats. I have one of each and use the bristle only one to finish off, it gives them a lovely shine. They are expensive but last a lifetime if you look after them properly.

The cheapest I found them in t eh UK was from http://www.bearstreetpharmacy.co.uk/ but that was a few months ago.

With regard to Evening primrose oil capsules, be careful of dosage - recommended dosage according to many of the holistic vets is 250mg for a 10 to 25lb dog - the nearest I could get was 300mg capsules, or give a 500mg every other day. The human 1000mg dose is too high.

Fish skins. They shine the coat and clean the teeth , so two for one. Monty is 12 plus, but his coat is really shiny since they've had the skins.

Hi!

I generally use the human one's from good old Holland and Barrett's, simply snip the top off the capsule and mix into feed!!

Good point from Nicki, human dosage is way too high for dogs, forgot to mention that :-| and of course regular grooming is also benificial as too is good feeding and regular exercise! Barbara too makes a good point in the fish skins, my "Cuddle" adore them!! :D Great for keeping teeth clean too, but do be wary of how many you give ;) HTH??

I give one a day, but sometimes they get two as an extra treat, but three (when he stole one) gave Teddy the runs, but not for long.

Are there any products in the US like those sold at Fish 4 Dogs? Thanks, Judy

Hi Steph
Adding sardines to his diet is fine and wont upset things ,the reason he has a dull coat is because he still has his puppy jacket and that can sometimes be of a different texture sometimes more fluffy, by the time he is 14mnth i garentee he will have a lovely shiney coat continue with the Royal canine ,he should still be on junior right? :)
Yeah he is on junior food. I read thru all the replies some great tips. I think i'll try the sardines and see how we go.Thanks

Back