• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MVD and high temperature?

Davy

Last week I thought SiânE MVD was getting worst, she was panting heavily at night time and her breathing did’nt sound right. She was also getting very hot while this was happening and wanted to lay on the step outside to cool off. Even over night with no heating, she sleeps on the floor as its cooler for her.

I took her to the vet who says she has some fluid on her lungs so now as well as the fortekor she is now on frusemide, and corvental.

Four days later and there is much improvement with her breathing at night time and she is no longer panting like mad but she is still getting hot and wanting to lay on the step outside. I knew things were bad tonight as its raining and she still wanted to lay outside. I’ve now got a fan on her tonight.

Could the MVD be the reason she is so hot, she is a diabetic and I have never had problems like this before. Her coat is also much thinner than most Cavaliers that I have seen, I would say her coat is about a third of the thickness of the Cavalier.

She’s ok during the day; in fact she has more of a spring in her step since she started the new tablets.

Any ideals?

Firstly I am very sorry to hear that her MVD is getting worse, but am glad to hear that the new tablets are working well for her. Personnally I think that if she had a fluid build up then this would have caused her various systems far more work hence the overheating problem. Another cause for the heavier breathing could have been mild heart failure due to the build up of fluid too (NOT meaning to scare you!) Sounds like the pills are now getting things back under control again for her, keep us posted about her won't you?? :hug:

No you’re not scaring me, I’ve been through much worst with other dogs I had before.

Cathryn said:
Personnally I think that if she had a fluid build up then this would have caused her various systems far more work hence the overheating problem

That was my feeling for her over heating but she has been on the tablets for four days now and had no panting in that time but she is still over heating.

Thankfully she has taken to the fan. She hates any kind of wind on her normally but she must feel much cooler with the fan. I on the other hand am bloody freezing. :-|

Does Siane have a fever when she feels hot?

India felt warm when she had a UTI, and her early symptoms were wanting to lie down a lot and feeling warm to the touch.

Does Siane have a fever when she feels hot?

India felt warm when she had a UTI, and her early symptoms were wanting to lie down a lot and feeling warm to the touch.

Nope she is fine during the day, her temperature is normal, it’s only at night she seems to have a problem. I’ve been through many infections (especially UTI) because of her diabetes, so I know this is not the problem. She has been ok all through winter with the heating, it is only this past week its been a problem.

So sorry to hear this, I don't have any answer for you but I would definitely mention it to your vet as I've not heard of this before. I know they are worse at night as they are lying still for extended periods rather than moving.

I imagine Siane is responding like people do with difficult breathing-they like to feel air movement.

Back