• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

House Training a second cavalier

shippers

We are considering getting a second cavalier puppy as a companion for our 13 month old cavalier Sally. We met a local breeder at crufts who has recently mated two of her dogs and is waiting to see if the bitch has taken which she should know at the end of the month. It will likely be the very beginning of August before these pups are ready for their new home if it is to be. My concern is how easy is it to house train a second dog? I'm worried that Sally might go backwards if she witnesses the puppy having an accident in the house and that Sally might think its ok for her to do it :eek:. Sally is fully house trained now. What are other members experiences of getting a second dog as a puppy?

Generally I find that the older dog actually helps to train the younger one through example, your girl will be of an age where she will find it pretty embarrassing to have an "accident" after being "clean" for so long and will in all probability be a good example for the new puppy. Just remember to not allow your new baby too much freedom initially and work on from there and you should have no problems at all!! HTH??

I have three pups I am trying to house train. The older dogs are providing all of the hands on demonstrations-- I am merely the cheering squad. So far we are doing about 50% outside-- but we are on day 4.

I found that the older dog kind of teaches the younger one...My second dog learned a lot quicker with my help and the example of my older dog.

This all sounds promising. What other problems has anyone encountered when getting another Cavalier? I'm trying to cover all questions before we go on our search for a new puppy. We have some time yet as it will be the middle of July to beginning of August at the earliest. I was also considering insurance. We already have Sally insured but do any companies do insurance deals for more than one dog?

Shelby was super easy to housetrain...she did what Jake did. Thankfully she picked up on his good habits and none of his bad ;)

I'll just agree with what others have said. In my experience, it's actually easier to housebreak a puppy if the puppy has an adult "role model" to watch.

Other problems? Obviously more vet bills, food, etc. As far as getting along, sometimes our adults get a little annoyed with a puppy's over-exuberance and may discipline the puppy. That's actually a good thing IMHO, it teaches the puppy doggy manners; we have never had a puppy hurt when it was disciplined by an adult, it always sounds worse than it really is.

Others may be able to speak on this as well, but we have never had a problem bringing a new dog into our house. After the initial get aquainted period (if you do a search, lots has been written about this), it's like they have been there forever. Our adults are so used to having visitors because we board dogs for our puppy people, that get aquainted period is usually less that a day. Others here have talked about it sometimes taking longer, but I don't recall anyone saying they had a long-term problem.

Don't know anything about insurance, maybe others can comment on that.

I'm sure others will comment on any problems they have had, but I truly believe the benefits far outweigh any problems. Even if I didn't breed, I couldn't have just one or two any more.

I think that we have had mixed success with this. Following the leader sounds like it should work - and to some extent it did for us.

HOWEVER, Willow was fully trained with our Guinness. BUT when Bailey came along - we found that he was marking territory in the house. I think that he was a bit lost - did not quite know what was happening and wanted to demonstrate to this newcomer that he was important.

I found that I had to start knocking him down a peg, as Will was getting a bit too big for his boots. It didn't last too long , but when it is against four poster bed curtains, and long white curtains inthe dining room - it gets a bit tedious.

Second Cavalier

Our Molly came to us at 3 1/2 years from the breeder after two litters as she developed uterine inertia the last time, had a caesarian and had to be spayed. She is an angel dog ( no bias here!). There were no pups available ar that time.
Of course, we just had to have another! Seven months later we got Cholmondeley ( Chum) and Molly accepted him as one of her own -she was used to puppies. She helped train him as the others have said and he followed her everywhere. I've heard it's best to get a pup of the opposite sex to the one you have but Cavaliers are so friendly in general that don't know if it really matters much.
He keeps her active as he wants to PLAY when she wants to snooze. He pulls her ears etc. until she will chase him - all in fun. What we didn't realize was the NOISY play that goes on with the older dog yipping to sort off say," Ouch!" and the little guy growling and racing around to make her chase him. Yours will be closer in age though.
Well, we love them both and don't regret our decision though a pup is much more energetic!!
Phyllis:)

Thanks for all your good advice. The breeder has invited me to see the dogs she has so I will be calling in some time this week. I need to remember all the questions I need to ask. I was wondering when other members have asked the price of the puppies? I don't want the breeder to think I'm only worried about the price but then we don't want to get our hearts set on puppies that are way too expensive bearing in mind the parents have been placed at crufts.

Hi!

Well speaking as a breeder I will tell you that the one thing that really annoys me is when the very first question is "How Much?" :swear:

I know that many folks have a budget or a pre-set upper price, and I appreciate that, but I really do prefer to be asked questions about the puppies and their parents, health checks etc, THEN when as much information as possible has been gleaned you can pop in the

"Oh, I almost forgot, how much are you asking for the puppies by the way?"

then if it is above your limit you can politely say so.

HTH??

Yes I thought this was the case so we'll wait until we have as much information as possible and the breeder may even let us know without us having to ask. It just seems insensitive asking somehow.

I am not a breeder so this is from a little different perspective. If you have already had an initial conversation with the breeder and if you really do have a limit on what you can spend and perhaps have to travel to see the puppies, I think it would be okay to ask before you take up the breeders time and yours on something that may not be possible. When you call or e-mail to set a time for a visit, I would just say "I know this is a difficult subject for everyone, but at this point in our lives we do have some limit on what we feel we can pay for a puppy, and so that we do not take up your time interviewing us and we do not find a puppy we love and then not be able to even be considered for him or her, would you mind telling me how much your puppies are?" I think good breeders know the difference between this type of inquiry and one from someone who is just interested in price.

On the other hand, sometimes your upper limit on what you would consider paying may change once you see the puppies :p. Plus, I do not know about Great Britian, but in the United States while there is some variation in price based on how well the parents have done in shows, it really is not as great as you might image. Sometimes puppies from dogs who have been in the top ten in conformation are not any more and may be less than puppies from dogs who finished their championship but were never shown as specials. Lots of factors go into how the price is set. Breeders jump in and correct me if you think this is wrong.

JMHO

I am not a breeder so this is from a little different perspective. If you have already had an initial conversation with the breeder and if you really do have a limit on what you can spend and perhaps have to travel to see the puppies, I think it would be okay to ask before you take up the breeders time and yours on something that may not be possible. When you call or e-mail to set a time for a visit, I would just say "I know this is a difficult subject for everyone, but at this point in our lives we do have some limit on what we feel we can pay for a puppy, and so that we do not take up your time interviewing us and we do not find a puppy we love and then not be able to even be considered for him or her, would you mind telling me how much your puppies are?" I think good breeders know the difference between this type of inquiry and one from someone who is just interested in price.

On the other hand, sometimes your upper limit on what you would consider paying may change once you see the puppies :p. Plus, I do not know about Great Britian, but in the United States while there is some variation in price based on how well the parents have done in shows, it really is not as great as you might image. Sometimes puppies from dogs who have been in the top ten in conformation are not any more and may be less than puppies from dogs who finished their championship but were never shown as specials. Lots of factors go into how the price is set. Breeders jump in and correct me if you think this is wrong.

JMHO

Very valid points!!

Personnally a litter can have the most incredible pedigree going and NONE of them will do anything in the ring, I once used a Crufts Best of Breed Winner at Stud and the resulting litter although initially very promising, just didn't "Do it" for me and were all sold as pets, on the other hand there have been some very influential stud dogs who never set foot in the ring!! One UK Breed Record Winner never "bred on" whilst a Champion half brother (Same Sire) went on to be a Top Stud Dog!!

Personnally, I ask the same for a "Pet" puppy as I would for a "Promising" puppy, you cannot make guarantee's as to how a puppy will eventually turn out as an Adult. If I have an enquiry where a lot of travelling is going to occur then I am happy to email pics etc.

Basically decide what you are prepared to spend, and be very clear what you want, be it pet etc. Also bear in mind that many breeders can improve on a bitch puppy with a few faults when they breed on with her so it is easier to buy dog puppies than bitches, also dogs in this breed are no more dominant than bitches, to be perfectly honest I prefer dogs to bitches!!

We did consider getting a dog but a few weeks ago I went to a friends house and they have an unneutered male who is about 3years old. He wouldn't leave Sally alone and was continually trying to mount her. It got too much and Sally was fed up of it. However, Sally loves to play with Ellie who is owned by Ann on the forum. This is why we decided on a bitch although I doubt all males would act like my friends. Regarding showing I would like to take the puppy to classes and maybe some ringcraft classes and see how things go but the puppy would be a pet before anything else.

Make sure that the breeder knows this so they can direct you towards a suitable puppy, some breeders will ask more for a "promising" puppy so be prepared for this as well.

With regards to the Dog thing, many young boys will be excited by a new bitch especially if they meet them in their (the dogs) own home! My parents have 1 boy and 2 girls, and for a very long time my in-laws had 1 of each too, OK the girls have all been spayed but they co-exist so well together once the initial "pecking order" is sorted out. Also a young male puppy would be better tolerated than an adult if you see what I mean?

Am glad to see you are thinking straight already re the puppy being a pet first and foremost, as all showdogs are pets for the rest of the time that they are not being shown too!! (Well mine are anyway!!)

Thanks for the help and advice. We will let you know how we get on as we are calling at the breeders home tomorrow evening. We still don't know if the girl is pregnant yet but hopefully she will be :xfngr:. It will be difficult to get everything we are asking for. We don't mind the colour but we would like a girl. The pup will need to be ready to come home towards the end of July too.

Thanks for the help and advice. We will let you know how we get on as we are calling at the breeders home tomorrow evening. We still don't know if the girl is pregnant yet but hopefully she will be :xfngr:. It will be difficult to get everything we are asking for. We don't mind the colour but we would like a girl. The pup will need to be ready to come home towards the end of July too.

:xfngr: that she is in pup for her breeder and for you too!! All in the laps of the gods right now eh?? Please keep me posted won't you? And feel free to get in touch via PM if you you need to as well OK?? :hug:

Thankyou Cathryn for all your help. It's a great help as we want to get things right. We are wondering what are the chances of the bitch having puppies this time? Is it usually a success? I suppose it's very difficult to tell. Also how will the breeder know she is expecting?

Hmm I will PM you with contact details as I know Karlin is not keen on breeding discussions and with good reason, hope this is OK??

Back