• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

House Training a second cavalier

Oh I am happy to have discussions about breeding generally and we all learn a lot from informational discussions about the process. What I don't want is for people to come here asking for advice and information about breeding *themselves*. (y)

That's why I was excited to have Bruce do his forum for his two litters as the whole complex and responsible process is documented. I feel that understanding what is involved with ethical, committed breeding allows us all to better appreciate the choices breeders make, the hard work and expense that goes into the process, the commitment to each individual dog and puppy, and the potential risk. I know many are very interested in the theory without wanting to engage in the practice! And that learning more is always good! It also helps us to better understand how to select a good breeder and a healthy puppy. Plus which of us doesn't love learning more about puppies? :lol:

And I hope frank theoretical discussions and forums like Bruce's help many who are wavering and thinking they'd like 'just one litter for fun' that this is a terrible idea and damages the breed. Also I hope a better understanding of the involved process makes people realise that 'price shopping' for cavaliers or any breed probably is not a good idea (which is to say that while there are some regional differences in the US, the general regional price should be very similar for well bred puppies. This is very true in the UK -- there should be almost no difference between good breeders just as there's very little in Ireland. People NEED to work with ethical health committed breeders and these are almost entirely show breeders or retired show breeders still active in the breed. You need to pay for the time and costs that go into breeding properly -- we have all seen the costs, financially and emotionally, that come to those who buy from indifferent breeders or brokers and encounter huge health bills or lose their loved dog at age 5 or 6 due to MVD. Support the people who support and cherish the breed -- the proper breeders who SHOULD have some champion dogs of their own or in their direct lineages -- not the cheaper seller who has no health clearances, doesn't breed cavaliers that even look like proper cavaliers, etc. The champions and show background are not a pricey extra, they should be the very basics of choosing a breeder. :)

Back