• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Isis

Bruce H

Back in June, 2006 in the "Five Months in the Life of a Breeder" forum, I posted about our ruby girl Isis getting pregnant and then losing both puppies. It was titled "And sometimes we have bad luck". I posted that because I wanted people to understand that breeding a litter is not always as easy as it was with Anna and Star, the two girls I did the "Five Months..." on.

Well, I have kind of a sad update (for me anyway) on Isis. We tried and tried to get her pregnant again, but were never able to. We tried 3 different, proven sires; just never took. So we finally had to make a very difficult decision. There are only so many dogs that we can manage between Kris and I. We decided to spay and place her while she was still young enough (5 years old) that people would be interested in her. We had her to the cardiologist earlier this year at the U of MN and she was clear, so we took her in and had her spayed.

We had the surgery done at the U because there were some potential complications and we wanted only best should something go wrong (nothing did). On the bright side, the surgeon/instructor at the U fell in love with her while she was there and we ended up placing Isis with her. That was about a month ago; we have heard from Isis's new family and she is doing great.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I guess I wanted to post this to reiterate what I have always said. Don't go into breeding thinking that you'll make money or that a girl will just automatically get pregnant if you breed her. Doesn't always work that way. Missed breedings or, in the case of Isis, not being able to get pregnant is a fact of life. And imagine if Isis had been a puppy mill dog; if she was lucky, she would have been sold to anyone who had a few dollars... or worse, just put down.

I really miss Isis. She was the ball fetching queen in our house. No one could beat her! But she is very happy now in her new home and has a 10 year old lab as a buddy. Placing puppies is always hard, but placing one of our adults like Isis is a thousand times harder. So anyone thinking about going into breeding needs to think long and hard about it. There are tremendous rewards, but there are some real downsides too.

Oh Bruce, you big softie!

I think it is wonderful that you have given someone the chance to fall in love with a Cavalier:) and that you have also been so responsible with the health side of things before she went to her new home regarding her spay and heart check, WELL DONE BOTH OF YOU.

Her new owner will love her to bits I'm sure, and it's nice that you will get updates from her new owners. I'm sure in time another little ball catcher will come along (it's in the genes!) so keep the balls somewhere safe until then!

Alison.

On the bright side, the surgeon/instructor at the U fell in love with her while she was there and we ended up placing Isis with her

Awww....I think that's sweet that she fell in love with her and is now her new home. I know how hard that must have been but how nice that she is in such a great home.

So sad to have to say goodbye to your girl and those who interact so much leave a big hole in the heart.I hope they have time to play ball with her and love her as much as you. On the best positive side you found a home almost ideal for your lady and one where you can easily stay in touch-kind of like human kids leaving home.

I'm sorry you had to let Isis go, but it sure sounds like she's in good hands! I know that doesn't make it easier when you still miss her, though.

It sounds like you made a wise and thoughtful decision for her and I'm sure she's still fetching balls to no end in her new home...:)

Brus, as always I am bowled over at the selfless love continually displayed by you and the other breeders on this forum. I'm sure it was difficult parting with Isis. But by the sounds of things you have sent her to a home where she will be adored and will be the centre of attention.

Be sure to get a few extra tight cuddles from the rest of your gang.

Aw, Bruce, you have such a wonderful heart, wanting the best for your Isis. So glad you were able to place her in a great home. Our breeder held and trained our girl for 6 1/2 months before she made the decision to place her in a pet home. She had high hopes for her for show, but she was too much of a cuddle love bug and lacked the high spirited, confident prance and proper tail flag for the ring. She was already very attached to her and it was difficult for her to place her, but the right thing to do. You can only have so many pups to care for. As difficult as it was for our breeder, I can't imagine how hard it was for you after years with her! You are a true example of an exemplary breeder who places his dogs' health and well being above and beyond everything else!

So sorry you had to say goodbye to Isis. I remember the Chocolate's breeder's tears on the day we adopted her in a similar situation. It's wonderful that Isis now has the best home you could possibly ask for; what a lucky vet! :flwr:

It must be really sad having so say goodbye. I am on the other side of the fence, having taken in our Sonny who is an x-stud. He adapted to our household really fast and now I could not imageine life without him, and I think he can't imagine life without us. I hope Isis will have a wonderful & full life with her new humans.

I know exactly how you feel Bruce, I placed my very much adored Darcy in a new home last week-end and it tore me apart to do it, happily he too is doing just great in his new home as your Isis is in hers.

Bruce's warning is very true folks, there is much heartbreak involved in dog breeding, loads of happy times, but also an incredible amount of tough decisions too!

Am very happy to hear Isis is well settled in her new home, and you know as well as I do that you have done the right thing by her in making this incredibly tough decision! A huge :hug: to you Bruce :hug:

Back