I received sad news today that a missing young Irish cavalier, that I'd posted here a while back and which was 'contained' in an electric fence -- eg using an electric shock collar -- was now 'found' -- killed after being hit by a car.
This poor dog was unchipped, and unspayed.
I am totally opposed to electric collars for many reasons, the primary one being humane reasons -- not a single national humane organisation in the US, Canada, UK or Ireland supports the use of these electric fences, and most actively condemn them.
I know some people continue to use them regardless. But if people are not persuaded on humanitarian reasons, this is one of the many reasons these collars are a poor choice. Besides the fact that anyone or anything can simply walk up and take the dog, there is almost always something that is so compelling to the dog that a brief shock is worth it. Many dogs will simply forget the threat of the shock and the training when such a thing tempts them. For a bitch in heat there are very strong biological urges to take off after males. For other dogs it may be a squirrel, some kids, a bird, a dog they know.
In this case, this little blenheim was crushed by a car while still wearing her electric fence collar.