• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

electric fences and a dead cavalier

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I received sad news today that a missing young Irish cavalier, that I'd posted here a while back and which was 'contained' in an electric fence -- eg using an electric shock collar -- was now 'found' -- killed after being hit by a car.

This poor dog was unchipped, and unspayed.

I am totally opposed to electric collars for many reasons, the primary one being humane reasons -- not a single national humane organisation in the US, Canada, UK or Ireland supports the use of these electric fences, and most actively condemn them.

I know some people continue to use them regardless. But if people are not persuaded on humanitarian reasons, this is one of the many reasons these collars are a poor choice. Besides the fact that anyone or anything can simply walk up and take the dog, there is almost always something that is so compelling to the dog that a brief shock is worth it. Many dogs will simply forget the threat of the shock and the training when such a thing tempts them. For a bitch in heat there are very strong biological urges to take off after males. For other dogs it may be a squirrel, some kids, a bird, a dog they know.

In this case, this little blenheim was crushed by a car while still wearing her electric fence collar. :( :(

I agree,i think its just laziness on the part of the human,proper kennel or being in the house is the better alternative,i dont know why people put them on the dog.I have know of collers not working properly on dogs.People dont care that the dog is wandering around and into the paths of cars.People think they stick it on and i dont have to bother walking the dog or checking its were abouts.irrisponsible owners yet again........

rubys mom

maybe someone should try one on the owners:eek: who do this to the poor dog maybe theyll think twice next :rolleyes: time poor little thing :(

That is so sad. We have a nice backyard grassy area with a patio, which is fenced and gated securely. Our cavalier has no interest in being out there unless it is out the doggie door to take care of "business". She loves to play outside ONLY WHEN we are out there sitting with her.

Having an electric fence and collar suggests that people who use them are sending their dogs outside with no lead, and no monitoring whatsoever. That just doesn't make sense with this breed. I can guarantee that mine would take the shock and run off to chase something or find a friend to be with, and as Karlin mentioned, what is to stop a large agressive (uncollared) dog from coming into the "fenced" area and attacking your pup? Some people just have no clue whatsoever! :swear:

Back