• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trimming

Cavvygirl

Do alot of you trim your cavaliers yourself?

I know that as a rule they don't need cutting but it is a preference of mine for them to look neat (not shorthaired;)) and I am struggling to find someone who won't use a shaver on them!:eek:

What would you trim the legs and feet with? Scissors or thinning scissors?

I only trim the underneath of their pads - and I do that with a pair of round ended scissors.

I coundn't bear to cut those feathers in case they never grew back:eek:

I always take the bulk off with a pair of round nosed safety scissors and finish off with thinning scissors for a more natural look!

As for coat/feathering not growing back again, I had to chop most of Logans tail feathering off when he'd been badly tangled up in some deep undergrowth, I'm talking the better part of 3 inches here, and to add insult to injury it was the day after I'd posted the Crufts Entry off! :swear: I was crying whilst I did it I can tell you! But it did grow back again, right back to it's former flowing glory, just took about 6 months to get it all back and we missed Crufts that year Dratt!!

I trim exactly how Kirsty does on my boys...only the hair in between the foot pads, and I have to hold back their slippers so I don't accidently trim them - I would be devastated if I cut them off! :D

the groomer took Suki's slippers off - I only wanted the pads trimmed, the rest of her looked nice and neat - a little short at first but i was gutted about her slippers - they are growing back nice now
i'm a bit cowardly to do the pads myself, which is daft really as i'm prepared to do pretty much anything else:rolleyes:
Any Tips??? :D

Well he had a horrible twig tangeld in him yesterday and he was not happy when I had to cut the surrounding fur!:rolleyes:

He is now booked in to be tidied up on tuesday morning at a groomers I have found. They are going to try and tidy his ears and feet and legs and shave around his private parts as the urine gets stuck to the hair there:eek:

Hopefully they will be able to trim him as I have put him in for a tidy up 3 times before and they were unable to do it as he wouldn't let them!:rolleyes:

He allows me to groom him with both the brush and comb every evening and allows me to cut any matts out although he isn't overly happy about it but he has got alot better, when we got him he wouldn't allow us to groom him at all he kept biting the brush and my hand:rolleyes:. Rio looks like :)xfngr:) he will have a much much shorter coat so I won't have to get him trimmed as hopefully it will be alot easier to manage!

I will let you all know how it goes;)

I trim the pads of the feet & do sometimes have to gently trim back the bedroom slippers. We live in an area with lots of bush around and it is very difficult to keep their feet nice & free of burs & brambles. Occasionally I will have to snip out a really badly tangled twig from their fur.

I do all my dogs myself. the last one we took to a groomers came back chopped short ( it was all clipper marks & awful)
I also groom a few dogs for people I know

I've just been combing our cav with a stripping knife , she is a mess but I find shaving requires more maintenance than leaving them long So I am attempting to strip the fluff out of her back & the top of her head in the hope she will eventully look a bit sleeker & not need to be shaved again.

Like Kirsty, I only do underpaws, as I like to see the full coat. I had used to trim Izzy's slippers. though as they grew long as though they had fertilizer applied.

Teddy lost most of his undercarriage coat, chest hair, side skirts , leg feathers and bum hair, due to his allergy, but since treatment with Atopica (in October/ November ?) all is back to normal , except for the side skirts which haven't grown as quickly.

I know at least two people who had the whole dog trimmed, to find that the coat grew back curly. (One Blenheim and one tricolour).

I also trim underneath the pads with scissors but I am also considering taking a shaver and shaving a little square around the bum. I've been having trouble with kosmo getting stuff stuck in his hair :mad:

I had a bad grooming experience once and haven't been able to take a dog back since :rolleyes:

I also use a coat king mars every month or so which seems to help cut down the shedding. I don't go "crazy" with it, but a little bit seems to help :flwr:

I've been trimming the pads of Hali's feet and just a little that goes into the ears with scissors but she's only 7 months old.

the groomer took Suki's slippers off - I only wanted the pads trimmed, the rest of her looked nice and neat - a little short at first but i was gutted about her slippers - they are growing back nice now
I'm a bit cowardly to do the pads myself, which is daft really as I'm prepared to do pretty much anything else:rolleyes:
Any Tips??? :D

You could try here Niki;

"Rayleigh Pets"

01268 747776

1 Hilary Crescent, Rayleigh, SS6 8NB

I took Dylan there and they did exactly what I said but I did explain really carefully, "Don't touch the slippers, only the pads, flush and not between the pads and make it look like you haven't done anything from the top...please!" I was really happy. What a relief after all the horror stories I have heard. It cost £5.

Well he went ...he allowed her to cut and it looks horrible!!:eek:

Luckily she only cut his feathers and his slippers off and didn't touch his coat (as i'd asked her not to!), he looks like a child has cut him with scissors as its so wonky and such a botched job!:mad:

I am not too worried as I know it will grow back and she only used scissors not clippers but I will be doing it myself from now on. In fact I am going to find out if I can train as a groomer just to do my own dogs. I had trimmed his slippers before and I had thinned out the ends and it looked lovely but he is completely short haired now on his feet and legs, he looks really odd:rolleyes:

Luckily it was only £15 and a lesson learnt!

You could try here Niki;

"Rayleigh Pets"

01268 747776

1 Hilary Crescent, Rayleigh, SS6 8NB

I took Dylan there and they did exactly what I said but I did explain really carefully, "Don't touch the slippers, only the pads, flush and not between the pads and make it look like you haven't done anything from the top...please!" I was really happy. What a relief after all the horror stories I have heard. It cost £5.

That's really good thanks Pauline - i'll give them a call

Back