Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choking when excited

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choking Noises!

In reply to Pavane's query - Iv had my cavalier for 14 1/2 years and from aslong as i can remember she made choking noises when excited especially when watching the telly! However iv never massaged her throat or stuck my fingers down her throat to calm her! Unless there is a medical condition or your dog is in distress or its happening for a prolonged period i would just leave your dog to it cause it would just excite your dog more probing at it than keeping a calm eye until the episode has ended? Sasha's lasted this long so it cant have hurt her! Cheers! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harnessed problem!

Took everyone's advice and bought 3 different harnesses! I love the Puppia and he looks great in the brown one. Also got a regular purple one from the local store--but it is tough to put on and a bit scratchy. Still, a good one for the rain etc. Also got a great one from a company in Maine. Our UPS driver recommended it. It is made of fabric and is soft, clips on well, and gives a bit more support than the Puppia. We use all 3, but take them off at home. Barkleigh seems to like them and does not fuss.

And, best of all, the choking is completely gone! I am sure now that he has a bruised larynx or something that healed. I removed the collar and need a larger size in any case. Will just use it for the ID, although he has a chip, of course. Just found out our animal shelter will do chips on any pet for $5.00. Will take in the cats--as we just had a scare with a missing cat. (Hiding in the closet for 2 days.)
    Barkleigh's Mum

Post Thanks / Like

If your Cavalier is 23 lbs, definitely order a large. My pup is only 18 lbs but he is now wearing a large b/c he ruined his medium, so he stole his sisters who never wore hers.

Where are you in Florida? We're on the Gulf coast, about an hour south of Sarasota.

Post Thanks / Like

Default North Gulf Coast

We're in Crystal River, north of Tampa by an hour or so. Home of the manatees. Barkleigh pays them no mind but does love the dolphins!
    Barkleigh's Mum