Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Alison: "No dilation one year can be quite moderate the next, likewise symptoms and a syrinx. Perhaps regular scanning on a 2yr period would be a good idea? especially for breeding stock. This would give a little more genetic history to work with as well?"

This is something I've thought about as well. As far as I've understood to get grade A the dog may actually have a dilatation as long as it is under 2mm. Isn't it then possible that the dog would get a grade D when scanned a few years later, if it has a dilatation of 1,9 mm at the age of 2,5 years? What would then be better from a breeding point of view: a 2,5-year-old dog with a dilatation of 1,9 and grade A, or a 10-year-old dog with a dilatation of 2,1 mm and grade D? I'm still studying the matter, and am not quite familiar with all these gradings etc.

Luckily we have the possiblity to scan our dogs now in Finland. The scan costs 400€ including a BAER-test and the Cavalier club supports the scan with 100€, so the owner has to pay 300€. The club also invited the 6 most used studs and paid for their scan entirely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't normally post in this section but this point "The more domed headed, flatter back skulled Cavs seem to have more risk of symptoms (CM is an aggravant possibly?) Here are some links to some interesting pages about this. " captured my eye.

Is there evidence that SM is a rollover from the breeding with pug etc which made the more dome head of the King Charles and that perhaps in future years IF RESPONSIBLE breeders attempt to produce more flat skulled cavs then this possibly lead to an eventual eradicatiomn of this disease/malformation.?????

Please exscuse my ignorance on this as I am hopeful that my two are clear of this debilitating illness and as such I do have a tendancy to stick my head in the sand. At present I have a 3 yr old and a nearly 2 year old that appear to be sympton free and they will stay so

My heart does go out to guys that are having to deal with this with their furbabies I send manys to you all
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

"The scan costs 400€ including a BAER-test and the Cavalier club supports the scan with 100€."

I don't know what 400€ is equal to in Canadian currency. Can someone do the conversion for me? The Canadian and American dollar are almost at par.

In trying to encourage breeders here to scan I have made numerous inquiries about the process of getting a dog scanned and the price. It is phenominally hard here (Alberta, Canada) as we have a shortage of radiologists (for the last 20 years), and the scan comes at a $2500 starting price tag, with then the initial vet visit and mandatory overnight fee on top of that. If you get a booking for a breeding dog (not sick) you can be bumped - and since the scanner is a 7 hour drive that would be more than off putting. It really irritates me that there are so many road blocks here to getting a scan. This is for humans too, as my mother and brother both waited forever for their MRIs diagnosing Parkinsons.

I do think that the saviors of this breed are going to be the ones who can scan, and who can afford to scan more often than once per dog.

For Merlinsmum, there are many other breeds already known to experience SM. This is the list I have found.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    King Charles Spaniel (English Toy)
    Griffon Buxellois
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Maltese Terrier
    Chihuahua
    Miniature Daschund
    Miniature Poodle
    Toy Poodle
    Bichon Frise
    Pug
    Shih Tzu
    Pomeranian
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Pekingese
    Boston Terrier
    Miniature Pinscher
    French Bulldog
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Anecdotally, on line I have also heard of SM in a Papillon.

SM seems to be caused by a gene that is behind many of the small breeds, and the Cavalier breeders - unknowingly and unfortunately - seem to have selected for it while selecting other traits. Some breeds seemed to have achieved the domed head shape from a different selection of safer genes.

Keep in mind prior to the 1850s breeds were not commonly bred pure. I have read Japanese Spaniel, Pekingese, Pug, Bulldog, English Springer Spaniel, Cocker Spaniel and Papillon all have played a part in the King Charles Spaniel and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed at different times.

Arlene and her three.

Post Thanks / Like

400€ is about 627 Canadian dollars, and 300€ is 470 CAD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the conversion . . . I just wish we could see those prices here.