• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying.... Holly goes in on Friday

Ashley

Spaying.... Holly goes in on Friday *UPDATE*

Hello everyone!!

Well I'm new here. My name is Ashley and I have a little ruby cavalier by the name of Holly!

Unfortunately, we found out too late on that we went around getting a pup in the wrong way! :( We did see Holly's mother and father, and their vet records, but I did not ask for certificates of heart tests.
This has been worrying me a lot! :(

Holly is almost 7 months now, and really is a great little girly. A little shy, but very lady like haha. I just want to do everything right by her... so she is booked in to get spayed on Friday and I thought that it was a nice time to say hello to everyone (since I have been 'lurking' in the shadows for a while hehe), and I just felt I needed some support.

I'm sure you've all been there, but I'm going to be on edge all week before she goes in for the op, and I just hope she'll be ok.
I know CKCSs are prone to heart problems, so needless to say I am worried about the anesthetic! :confused:

On a lighter note.... Its great to find other people crazy about cavs.... because i've certainly caught the bug! :D

Last edited:
So GLAD you decided to say hi!!
We had to do 6 teeth cleanings since February and I put off the teeth cleanings because of my fear of anesthesia. The vet and I discussed what he'd use and he put my fears to rest. Not one of the six had any bad effects, they came home that night and were alert, happy. I was very relieved. Had I known earlier-- my almost 8 year old might not have lost 3 teeth :(-- and my 5+ year old lost her 4 premolars (they said due to overcrowding):confused::confused:. I will keep your girl in my positive thoughts that she has a 'great friday' -- sorry, I couldn't resist.

Aww Bless!! The main thing is that you love her with all your heart! Now about her op, she will be just fine, try not to worry (easy for me to say I know!) but your biggest problem will be keeping her quiet afterwards! My parents recently had their girl spayed and she was back to her bouncy old self in 24 hours flat! Will be thinking of you on Friday!! :hug: :flwr:

Oh thank you to you both for your kind words and reassurance! I'm being a 'paranoid parent', I know!:eek:

I had my two done at a year old( pippin) and two years ( gus)although they are boys,Pippin had an undecended testicle so it was like a spay for him as it was way up in his abdomen. They were both fine after and looking for food by that night! I'm sure Holly will be fine I'll be keeping her in my thoughts on friday.

By the way, the day they were being done I couldn't eat or relax all day.Couldn't wait to pick them up..almost cried in the vets! and slept with them all that night.

Last edited:
I agree with Cathryn, the main thing is you love her. You have her now, so no point beating yourself up over what you should have done. Also no point fretting over what could happen to her heart. As far as you know, her heart may be the best there is.

You are doing all the right things & your vet will guide you. Just relax, breathe & enjoy her.

Good luck with the spaying. I am sure it will be fine. My little fellows are getting the snip tomorrow too, so I know what you are going through.

Last edited:
I'm glad you came out and introduced yourself! I'm sure she'll do great. I can say that since I was a mess when I brought my girl in 3 years ago for her "fix". She was back to her bouncy little self in no time.

Unfortunately, we found out too late on that we went around getting a pup in the wrong way! :( We did see Holly's mother and father, and their vet records, but I did not ask for certificates of heart tests.
This has been worrying me a lot! :(

You aren't the first and wont be the last to do this. We were the same when we went, we'd read all the do's and don't, but then forgot everything the moment we seen our little guy:rolleyes:

Hugz for Friday:hug:

Just to let everyone know that Holly had her op today and got home at 2:30pm. She is ust tired, sluggish and sore!
Poor wee sausage keeps jumping every now and then and trying to run away from the pain! :( Other than that she seems to be almost back to herself. She wants cuddles but it just isnt easy to give her them, and she cant get comfortable on our laps.
I couldnt find any onesies/baby grows/ all in ones so I bought some actualy baby ones, and cut a hole for her tail:rolleyes:. I've not put them on her but I think I might need to as she keeps trying to lick her wound!

What do you guys think? :)

Hi Ashley, I'm glad to read that Holly is home. She will recover rather quickly, wait and see. Just trying to keep her from jumping up over the next few days will be the hardest thing.

I don't have any advice about the onsie, Scout didn't wear one after her spay. I wouldn't let her lick the wound too much though.

Back