• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Puppy

deborahjane

We just bought a new 8 wk old Black and Tan Cavalier bitch pup....beautiful little girl..very confident, extremely friendly and in 2 days has taken over the entire household. She is called Treacle, has beaten up my other 2 Cavaliers, chased the persian cat..(much to my surprise as she takes no prisoners!!)...but what fun and joy we are getting from her. She knows no fear at all. When we went to collect her and to meet the breeder we were bombarded with loads of questions...did I work, if so was there anyone at home during the day, I work part time and yes my husband is here as he works nights, can I afford to feed her and vaccinate her and insure her, what food was I going to feed etc. I don't mind the questions as I would have asked the same things and I did answer them honestly. She had 6 bitches and 2 dogs. 5 bitches, 2 dogs and 4 puppies were in crates in the conservatory and 1 bitch in a crate was in the front room and was ready to whelp any day soon. The dogs were all really well cared for and very friendly. All her dogs are KC registered and she "line breeds". What exactly does that mean? Is it inter breeding? If so how does that affect the health of the dogs? We are not going to breed from Treacle by the way.:)

Congratulations on your new puppy! Love the name Treacle it's great for a Black and Tan. I look forward to hearing more of your puppy stories as we hope to get another pup at the end of July and I'm so excited. Don't forget you have to post lots of :snap:. I'm not sure on any answers to those questions but I'm sure someone on here can help you. Good luck

Line breeding is where you stick to members of a particular family, ideally her father should be related to her grandfather, the commonest linebreed is actually grand-father to grand-daughter, I know this sounds horribly incestious but it is a good way of "fixing" type and it also quickly shows up your good and bad points as you are doubling up on them. Not something to be done light-heartedly though as you are also halving your gene pool and increasing the risk of inherited health issues, in particular SM.

Good luck on your new baby Treacle, she sounds a total doll, looking forwards to seeing some :snap: of her soon maybe??

Hi! Congratulations on the latest addition to your family. There are several wonderful breeders who are part of this community and can answer your questions on line breeding. I don't know enough on that to comment. Just curious, did you meet at least the mother of your pup, and did the breeder give you copies of health clearance certificates on the parents and grandparents?

Treacle

We met the mother briefly as she was put in another room with the other dogs..the noise was terrible and nobody could hear what anyone was saying.She was a Bleinheim and lovely and in very good condition, the father was a Black and Tan and gorgeous. All 4 pups were Black and Tan bitches. We didnt get any certificates to show what tests had been done. On the transfer of ownership form it just says:-Health Screening=KC/BVA schemes for both the sire and dam. No DNA tests seem to have been done. As for the pics I will have to figure out how to get them on here...Im not much good at computers!!:(

Pictures

Wow. Just figured out how to get the pics up. This is Lady the Bleinheim and Pippa the Tri. Both sound asleep on the sofa in each others arms.

Back