• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Waking up early!

Phyllis

:mad: Chum (17 months) sleeps with Molly on our bed. Lately,he wakes up at 4:30 a.m. and jumps off the bed then scratches at the bedroom door. At first, I got up and let him outside but thought that was encouraging him so I keep a harness on him and try to keep him in bed but he keeps wanting to jump off. If I open the door he goes into the rest of the house and starts barking at reflections in the windows ( floor to ceiling) etc.

I don't give him any food or anything. Later, he goes to sleep on the couch but I am already up and often can't get back to sleep myself! It is really becoming a problem.

They go out last thing at night before bed. Should I get a crate? What do I do? Help!

First, try to give him a half hour of exercise before bedtime -- a brisk walk, play with him, whatever. Then, I'd crate him, and maybe crate him with a stuffed Kong toy to give him something to distract him if he wakes up later; if he is still barking, you can try covering the crate with a dark cloth. You may need to just tolerate the noise with earplugs for a few days initially. Sounds like he has a pattern of behaviour developing so you don't want to respond to his demands at all; just ignore him.

If it is really difficult for him and you maybe he will need crating in another room or they both may do better in separate crates in a more distant room, but together. Some dogs like some cats seem to like to get up and have a roam.

Solution: I opened the door and made sure all lights were off. I think he just wanted to change positions as first night he jumped off the bed and then just curled up in the doughnut bed on the floor and went back to sleep. Next night he slept through. Before,the closed door made him scratch ( maybe he doesn't like being closed in)which woke us up and then all were wide awake. I THINK the open door is the answer. Thanks, Karlin, for your advice.

:mad: Chum (17 months) sleeps with Molly on our bed. Lately,he wakes up at 4:30 a.m. and jumps off the bed then scratches at the bedroom door. At first, I got up and let him outside but thought that was encouraging him so I keep a harness on him and try to keep him in bed but he keeps wanting to jump off. If I open the door he goes into the rest of the house and starts barking at reflections in the windows ( floor to ceiling) etc.

I don't give him any food or anything. Later, he goes to sleep on the couch but I am already up and often can't get back to sleep myself! It is really becoming a problem.

They go out last thing at night before bed. Should I get a crate? What do I do? Help!

We have young pups in housetraining-- so 4:30am is first outside time.. My hubby has problems going back to sleep, but I have trained myself to not come all the way awake-lol.

Pippin goes through phases of waking up at all hours and if I keep him in the room with the door closed he will get up and scratch.I have to leave him in the kitchen behind a pen to get a full nights sleep.Glad you seem to have it sorted..nothing worse than lack of sleep!

My Sonny likes to move about a bit at night, but he is always very quiet & never barks. If I get up through the night I can find him sleepin in all sorts of different places. I wonder if your guy just doesn't like being restrained to one spot.

Anway, like the others have suggested, if this continues I'd be inclined to crate him as you all need your sleep.

Back