• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Rimadyl safe long term?

TillyTommy

As you may know from a post earlier my Tilly hasnt been so well. She used to be so fit and has never been ill in 8.5 years. Just lately she hesitates to jump up. Still loves a brisk walk and fetching but when she get homes it seems she really suffers and appears stiff and sore. Sometimes she walks ok and other times it is obvious she is not comfortable. I dont want to stop her walks but do you think i should cut back in the length of time? Vet has given her Rimadyl and I have read mixed reports. She is much better on the tablets then off them. I was just wondering long term effects and have others used them daily. I am seeing vet tomorrow but just wanted to be armed with a bit more information.
Many Thanks in advance

I'd cut back, yes, if she is clearly uncomfortable and more so after walks. Also at this age it can help to put steps by the places she jumps up -- there are dog stairs widely available online or a low stool can work. I'd try fish oils and chondroitin supplements too. If she needs pain killers the choice is usually rimadyl or metacam. One can have side effects in some dogs but can't remember which. She might like one of those heated dogbeds or pads.

:)My dog before I got cavaliers was a tiny maltese mix. She had arthritis in her knees, and my vet at the time felt that toy breeds should not be on NSAIDs like Rimadyl long term as it can cause organ damage. Instead, he put her on this: http://www.viim.org/therapeutics/products/chineseherbal/arthragen.asp

It worked very well for her, and she also took a supplement from the vet that had greenlipped mussels in it. She lived to be 14.5 years old.

Nicki has a very effective supplement that she gives her cavs, and it also contains greenlipped mussels. I'll try to find what it's called.

Last edited:
As the others have suggested, I'd give some of the more gentle methods a try before putting her on Rimadyl. Having said that, if those things don't work & she starts to suffer a lot of pain, Rimadyl can make a huge difference to quality of life. I try only to give it to Sam (my Boxer) on days when he seems to be more uncomfortable than usual. It can be quite rough on the tummy and it can also cause personality changes... something I didn't know until I'd read the fine print in the product information.

Many thanks for all you help and advise. Can supplements be purchased at pet shops or is that something I will have to look for online?
Tilly was always been so active its come as a shock she can no longer enjoy her long walk.
This morning we were only out for 20 minutes and she was walking odd coming home. When i say odd I mean it not her usual swift smooth walking. She then seem uncomfortable but was better within the hour. My daughter has now taken her for her evening walk but I told her to just take her to the local field and let her fetch it she wants to. This will only mean a 10 minutes walk and then if she is up to fetching she can take it or leave it.
She has so suddenly become an old lady:(

Thanks Karlin - where do i get supplement you mentioned and a heated dog bed sounds great for her. Do you know of anywhere in the uk that sell such a thing?
I am so suprised how quickly she has changed. I am probably sounded stupid but do you think she could also be depressed after losing Tommy? Other then her first 6 months of life she has always been with Tommy:(

Thanks for the heated bed idea. I googled it and got one brand new but a clearance item and only paid £10.oo for it. They retail for £27.00 normally so I am pleased to bits! Amazon are fantastic so hopefully she will be warm and cozy very soon:)

Looked again and one was £27.00 and them samething from another seller £37.00 so £10.oo was a real bargin!!

Last edited:
Back