• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tight Stomach?

wildandcrazyguys

I noticed today that Bailey's stomach feels really tight..He's eating and pooping and peeing like normal so I don't think it's bloat. He's acting normal..running around and pestering his brother. I haven't changed their food or anything. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks

I don't know bailey's age or health condition, but when Izzy had end stage mvd his addomen went rigid when fluid built up there and was an indication to increase his Frusicare for a few days. With a youger dog, swollen tummies can be a sign of worms. Best see your vet.

He's a little over 6 months old. He's gotten all of his shots and I started him on Interceptor on Thursday and it's supposed to get rid of worms too.

He wasn't wormed the last time we went to the vet..which was last week..he was given his rabies shot and that was pretty much it. How often does he need to be wormed?

Over here it's recommended every three or four months, but more often in areas of greater risk. Young puppies are done more frequently.

Last edited:
I would take Bailey to the vet as soon as possible, just to be sure he's ok. Does his belly look swollen?

At the very least ring your vet and explain the situation and get their advice on whether to bring him in. If bellies are hard and swollen it could be very serious, with time of the essence. If it just feels hard -- it may be nothing. But I wouldn't risk waiting to see.

Yep I'd be taking a quick trip to the vet or as Karlin suggested, at least ring.

Here in Australia we worm our adult dogs every 3 months. In puppies, it is monthly until they are 6 months old (if memory serves).

i took Bailey to the vet today and he said that he simply has gas and to switch foods..I'm giving him Nature's Variety right now and he said it may be too rich for his stomach...any suggestions? he suggested switching to Science Diet puppy formula but I don't know... Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Well, they ate their suppers and Bailey is still bloated feeling and kinda moaning when picked up..not in pain sounding..just like he's full...is there anything to give dogs for gas?

i personally don't think it's the food that gave him the gas...they have been on the same food since they were about 4 months old and they are 6 months now and i haven't changed it...we were giving them tripe mixed in but we ran out a couple of weeks ago and it just now came in.....i don't know...but like i said, he's pooping, peeing, and playing normally

You might want to switch Bailey to California Natural Lamb & Rice or Canidae All Stages, which are both high quality foods that aren't too rich.

Some dogs cannot tolerate the higher protein foods, or are sensitive to certain proteins or grains. One of my dogs, India, doesn't do well on EVO, while the other two were fine with it. I always have 2 or sometimes 3 different brands of food on hand, as Geordie needs a grain-free food, while the others don't.

I'm also thinking about the serving size, and wondering if that could be a contributing factor. Currently Geordie gets a slightly rounded 1/3 cup, while the girls get slightly rounded 1/4 cup, depending on the calorie count of the food, and they are fed twice daily. When they were puppies, Geordie got 1/2 cup and India got 1/3 cup.

I think we figured out what was wrong...we are moving and we have moved in with my in-laws and they have terrible terrible tap water and last night I started using bottled water and his gas has gone away. Yay! I was so worried but it looks like he's going to be ok.

Back