Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Sad and Confused a Little Help Please*Long*

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Sad and Confused a Little Help Please*Long*

    Got an email from my breeder today telling me that her bitch didn't have puppies. I'm a bit confused and sad because she didn't tell me if the puppies died or if she just hadn't confirmed the pregnancy... =(

    She let me know she's willing to give me the numbers of breeders that are friends of hers that have puppies or I can wait till October which is when she's expecting another litter based on when one of her dogs should be in heat.

    I'm not sure which way I should go. I don't really want to wait till October because where I live it's really rainy all the time in October and very hard to potty train. Also if my breeder isn't confirming pregnancy then I don't know that I want to wait till October to find out that there are no puppies again.

    But if I go with one of the other breeders I might have to take the puppy right now, I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I can't cancel the vacation, I don't want to have my puppy being alone within a few weeks of coming home and while he's still potty training so this would not be acceptable. I also might have to pay higher price, (the breeder I'm with now is in the middle range of the price for this area.) which my parents will not accept (took forever to explain the reason for the price and this puppy is a gift to me from my parents so they will be paying for it.) my parents are used to pet store prices, this is the first dog that they will be buying from a breeder so the price is quite a shock. (totally worth it but still a shock) I've offered to pay for the difference in price if it's higher but my parents wont accept that.

    I'm so sorry this is so long! I'm just a bit sad and need a little guidance so I don't make a poor decision at this point. Should I stay with my current breeder? Would it be a rash decision for me to try one of the other breeders? I'm afraid if I go for one of the other breeders I'd just be doing it because I "want my puppy right now!" I'm planning to call her later this week and ask her if the pregnancy was confirmed and what exactly happened. Any suggestions? Thank you for listening I'm just so heartbroken

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Virginia USA
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will let those who are experienced breeders chime in, but from my limited knowledge this does happen, the breeder believes there is a pregnancy and it turns out to either be a false pregnancy (which are more common then I would have thought) or the momma dog loses the puppies. There are risks to doing certain tests to confirm the pregnancy early on and because of those risks some do not do them. I do not think that this happened is necessarily an indication of a bad breeder. However, before you committ to another puppy from her I would want to talk to her about what happened. She should be willing to discuss what ocurred with you.

    One thing you do need to remember is that you can be on the list for a puppy from a litter and the litter ends up being too small for everyone on the list to get a puppy. If this breeder is as good as you believe, and if she is doing MRIs to screen for SM and all the right heart and eye tests, that does a long way, you may decide you want to wait for her. Or you may decide you first want to talk to some of the other breeders who have puppies available, to whom your first breeder refers you, before you make a final decision. I would take the latter approach in your situation.

    Best of luck to you.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you for your reply ppotterfield, I really do need to talk to my breeder and get a few questions answered. I'd also want to ask her a few questions about the other breeders and talk to them as well before I make this decision. Hopefully if I choose to go with one of the other breeders they would be willing to keep the puppy with them until I get home from my vacation so that my baby wouldn't be disrupted so terribly!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Virginia USA
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batel View Post
    Hopefully if I choose to go with one of the other breeders they would be willing to keep the puppy with them until I get home from my vacation so that my baby wouldn't be disrupted so terribly!
    If the breeder believes you are a good match for their puppy I would image they would be willing to keep the puppy a couple extra weeks. You might also disuss with them taking the puppy but having the puppy board with the breeder when you go on vacation. Depending on the length of time you would have the puppy before you left (if it would only be a week or so it would not work), this may be a viable option.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm leaving April 2nd so it would be 2 weeks max that I'd have the puppy with me if the puppy came home this week. I will be gone 5 days so it would really be better for the puppy if he could just stay with the breeder till I got back, so he isn't going back and forth.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent, England
    Posts
    2,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The lady who bred three of my dogs had a bitch who absorbed two litters before finally having a healthy one. She had definitely been in pup, but something went wrong along the way.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This happened to me also- the litter was absorbed. That was how I got Holly - they said they were sorry, but they had no pups apart from a little BT girl of 9 weeks who'd been given to them as a stud fee. I hadn't actually wanted a BT, but I wanted a pup and after months of waiting... Holly's nearly five now and is as fit as a fiddle, albeit rather neurotic. She's an adorable, cuddly girl and I wouldn't replace her for the world.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My story is very similar to yours. I waited for 8 months after 2 failed matings. I could have gone elsewhere but I decided to wait for a particular breeder. She also didn't mind that things came up and I couldn't take Dylan when he was 12 weeks and she looked after him a little longer.

    I'd say it doesn't hurt to look around but the main thing is the health certificates of the parents and grandparents of your pup. As long as they are good AND you get to see them, I wouldn't worry about changing your plans.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im so sorry you have to wait longer but if you really feel you have found the right breeder then I would stick with her. I would contact the other breeders though, you may find one of them to be just as good. Hope you get your puppy soon!
    Carly- Babette's mom, Army wife

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you all wow such wonderful helpful replies! I don't feel so alone knowing others have gone through this. I really love my breeder, I'm going to talk to her about this but I really think I'm going to stay with her and wait till her October litter. Now I just have to figure out something to keep me busy until then!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •