• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Phobic Work

cavi lover

Ellie my 6yr old rescue girl is a P.A.T dog and for the first time she and I are going to be working with a clinical psychologist with a 12 yr old who is so severely dog phobic she has become agrophobic.

This is a new area of P.A.T dogging for both of us but we are under the direction of the psychologist. I really hope my little bomb proof Ellie will be able to help this young girl.

We are going for our first session on Wednedsay. I ill let you know how it goes.
Julie x

Good luck Julie....this sounds like a real challenge but it sounds like you're both up to it.

I'll follow this thread with interest. Let us know how you get on. Well done for training your dog so well, I have great admiration for anyone with a P.A.T. dog.

If any dog can help this poor girl, I'd put my money on a cavalier!! Good luck... this is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Keep us posted! :dogwlk:

I'll be really interested to see how it goes. They are a great breed for this type of work.

The thing that never fails to amaze me with Cavs is their responsiveness. My housemate isn't quite dog-phobic, but not far off it. She has been in my house, off and on, for nearly a year and in that time she has only intentionally stroked them once. However, she and the dogs have come to a mutual agreement where she can let them out and even feed them, and they know not to touch her physically or jump up on her. Amazingly, she returned home (she's Greek) for three months over the christmas period, and the day she returned.... the dogs STILL knew not to jump on her. I was astonished. I think it has helped her fear of dogs a little. Apparently if I'm out and she's in the kitchen, she'll talk away to them in Greek. :D She even says they are more likely to obey her (ie, Bed!) if she speaks in Greek because her tonal range is more flexible then.

Julie, I'm very interested to hear how it went.

Lisa_T, that's interesting how your cavs respect your housemate!

Isn't it?

I too will be interested to hear how it goes with the little girl. I always think that it's especially sad when children are dog-phobic. Childhood should be about romping with the dog amongst other things, and I think it may be becoming more common. I live in a inner city area and while the kids in my street are dog lovers, if I take them onto Botanic Avenue, for example, I've had children screaming and crying when they see them.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement.

Sadly I came out of Sainsburys yesterday morning to find I had 2 punctures on the car!

This in turn meant I had no transport to get to the appointment and Ellie hates buses and other peoples car. I did not think it would be good to turn up with a stressed dog.

So the appointment will be in two weeks .I will let you know how it goes.

Well they do say everything happens for a reason so maybe there is one that meant you could not attend the session. Perhaps the child may not be ready yet ?? Sorry about your punctures though.

I was always (and still am sometimes) scared of dogs growing up, I had never really had a positive experience with a dog and it is/was thanks to the beloved cavalier breed that I entertained the notion that not all dogs want to eat you. Now I don't know where I would be without my dogs ?
I hope you can help this girl ?
Do you have to do a protection ritual/prayer or something with your cavalier to stop them from taking on the negative energy that may exist in a situation like this ?

Back