Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seizures???

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=luvzcavs;254590][COLOR=blue]I think in any situation where the brain is starved of oxygen for a period of time has the potential to cause a seizure or seizure like sympotoms whether it is a common symptom/side effect of a particular condition or not ? The lack of blood flow would surely have an impact on the normal brain circuitry and therefore could result in a seizure ??

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_T View Post
    If upping the heart tablets helped before, could they be upped again? It's certainly a co-incidence that that helped before. Unless, of course, the medication in question is one that can also be used to treat SM, in which it's more blurred...

I too agree that if the brain is starved of oxygen funny things happen. I've been known to fit during a faint, but I'm not epileptic.

Yeah I guess you're both right.I would still be worried about any dog having seisures that often though.I wonder how come the vet isn't suggesting tests to make sure it is that or as lisa said maybe upping the meds again?
    Either way Sasha85 it must be very distressing for you,I hope things get better for poor sasha

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_T View Post
    I've been known to fit during a faint, but I'm not epileptic.
    When I was in my teens I used to faint and have a fit at the same time - it was due to low blood pressure.

Now I have a full time job, house to keep clean, OH to look after, 2 chinchillas and 2 dogs I have high blood pressure! (only joking )
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Its just something that happens as a side effect to her overall condition and we like Sasha have accepted it! Shes too old now to be proding and poking at her! By upping the heart tablets it will harm the kidneys so its a catch 22 unfortunately!

Either way Sasha85 it must be very distressing for you,I hope things get better for poor sasha
    Cheers hun but to be honest shes fine in herself and thats all that matters as long as shes enjoying life shes here to stay! Thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    14 1/2 years young we're lovin it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sasha85 View Post
    Apparently it stems from the heart problems not directly but its a contributing factor when her heart tablets were upped the seizures disappeared for 6 months its kinda like an angina attack cause its painful but she also spasms and twitches but we call it seizures!
    It sounds like she's in quite a bit of pain when she has these episodes.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmum View Post
    When I was in my teens I used to faint and have a fit at the same time - it was due to low blood pressure.

Now I have a full time job, house to keep clean, OH to look after, 2 chinchillas and 2 dogs I have high blood pressure! (only joking )
    LOL. Actually, in my case it ended up being a suspected tumour, but was sorted out. I still do fit a bit if I pass out, but I try to avoid situations that result in fainting!

Thing is, Sasha is an amazing age for any dog, let alone a Cav. I think you're probably right to let it go, but having said that, if she really does seem in pain or shocked and frightened after an episode, maybe you should investigate pain relief?
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as she comes round she looks at us all sitting round her as if hey guys what you all doing up its night time! She'll get up and wag her tail but usually we give her an extra heart tablet to get her heart regulated! We've spoken to the vet and she has seen her in the seizure and she said there would be no point in pain relief because its only when shes in the seizure that she seems in pain but when she comes round its as if shes just woken up and no seizure has occured! If it was a tumour she must have had it for over 2 years and it must be very slow growing but shes too old now to put her under to investigate so id rather not know if im honest!

As long as shes happy and eating then im not prepared to risk her and change anything as its worked this long and id be frightened to change it incase it acted detramental to her!

Last night she had one and ended up wetting ma sister was the only one in and she was doing homework listening to her ipod. Sash was sleeping in my room and ma sis heard her crying instantly from the living room just to let you know how loud the squealing is! It makes ya jump! But then today when i got up she was wagging her tail and barking at me letting me know she had missed me its like shes saying where have you been iv not seen you bad girl! Haha shes so funny!

Post Thanks / Like

sis heard her crying instantly from the living room just to let you know how loud the squealing is! It makes ya jump
    At the risk of offending you.....this is extremely bothersome to me. Why would you allow her to continue experiencing pain episodes so bad your sister can hear her "squealing" in another room even though she has on her ipod? I'm sorry but I don't think she's funny....I think she's experiencing intense pain.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Actually that is quite offending! Did you not read the above? Anyway i think im a better judge of my own dog! Anyone else have a cav live as long as mine is currently? Its like saying you can control angina or heart attack pain before it occurs and we are allowing her to suffer! Apart from giving her an extra heart tablet and a steriod tablet to help her bounce back which she does there isnt really anything else we can do cause shes is completely fine once she comes around! That has upset me Cathy!

I can assure you if there was something available to give her she would be getting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sasha85, for those of us whose dogs were PTS so they would not continue to suffer from incurable illnesses, I am requesting that you stop providing full descriptions of the painful episodes your dog is enduring. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing this.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else have a cav live as long as mine is currently?
    But that's not the point. My cat was put to sleep at age 14. She could have lived to be 20 if I chose to continue treating her with chemotherapy and radiation.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah