• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Seizures???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she's been having seizures since she was 12 so for about 2 1/2 years now maybe as many as once a month/2 months but my dogs seizures are brought on by the murmur because there is sometimes a lack of blood flow and oxygen to her brain due to her ailing heart the blood doesnt get pumped around her body as strongly as it should cause of the weekness in one of the valves caused by the murmur according to the vet! Its probably not documented that much cause of Sasha's age not many live as long as mine is currently. But thanks for the info in the link i have read quite a bit about it cause obviously it has been a problem since she first got a murmur when she was 5!

It weird though her body twitches and convulses and she crys ear piercingly until she knows your there with her then she stops crying and as shes coming round she wets herself! Very upsetting when i first witnessed it but straight after shes up and about as if nothing happened! Bizzare!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I really do not think this has anything to do with MVD. Did your vet say it did? It sounds like epilepsy or syringomyelia or episodic falling. It may be possible to get rid of these entirely through proper medication and stop her from this regular suffering. Seizures can be extremely painful and disturbing. :( Please get a second opinion if your vet is the one who has said these are due to MVD! These are neurological sounding seizures, and sound like they have nothing to do with the fainting that sometimes happens when blood flow is inadequate (they sound like grand mal seizures). Is she on medication for the MVD? Is this reviewed regularly by the vet?

Just a line ... did I read that correctly? Are you saying your Cav is now FOURTEEN AND A HALF?! Wow.

That can be very distressing. Our Scarlett the Boxer started having seizures when she was 12. The vet ran some non-invasive tests to try to determine its cause but came up with nothing. Due to her age we didn't want to put her through more invasive procedures.

In the end the vet just put it down to "old age". I guess that probably just means "we don't know". We tried a number of drugs but often times felt that the cure was worse than the condition.

About 12 months after they started, they had escallated to several per day & we had to gently send her off.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I can empathise with you as it is horrible to watch. If it is any comfort, my understanding is that they do not remember the seizure.

Haha yes she is 14 1/2 she'll be 15 on sept 8th iv had her since i was just a little girl. Apparently it stems from the heart problems not directly but its a contributing factor when her heart tablets were upped the seizures disappeared for 6 months its kinda like an angina attack cause its painful but she also spasms and twitches but we call it seizures! I dont doubt our vets diagnosis as shes been with us from Sasha was 8 weeks old and throughout all her ill health and Sasha has always come through it! But thanks for your concern!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It weird though her body twitches and convulses and she crys ear piercingly until she knows your there with her then she stops crying and as shes coming round she wets herself! Very upsetting when i first witnessed it but straight after shes up and about as if nothing happened! Bizzare!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

My friends dog does this but she has epilepsy,I don't see how this could be to do with a heart problem.I would speak to the vet again or get a 2nd opinion.It can't be good for her to be having these turns so often.

I think in any situation where the brain is starved of oxygen for a period of time has the potential to cause a seizure or seizure like sympotoms whether it is a common symptom/side effect of a particular condition or not ? The lack of blood flow would surely have an impact on the normal brain circuitry and therefore could result ina seizure ??

I guess as is with humans every case is individual to some degree ?

If upping the heart tablets helped before, could they be upped again? It's certainly a co-incidence that that helped before. Unless, of course, the medication in question is one that can also be used to treat SM, in which it's more blurred...

I too agree that if the brain is starved of oxygen funny things happen. I've been known to fit during a faint, but I'm not epileptic.

I think in any situation where the brain is starved of oxygen for a period of time has the potential to cause a seizure or seizure like sympotoms whether it is a common symptom/side effect of a particular condition or not ? The lack of blood flow would surely have an impact on the normal brain circuitry and therefore could result in a seizure ??

If upping the heart tablets helped before, could they be upped again? It's certainly a co-incidence that that helped before. Unless, of course, the medication in question is one that can also be used to treat SM, in which it's more blurred...

I too agree that if the brain is starved of oxygen funny things happen. I've been known to fit during a faint, but I'm not epileptic.

Yeah I guess you're both right.I would still be worried about any dog having seisures that often though.I wonder how come the vet isn't suggesting tests to make sure it is that or as lisa said maybe upping the meds again?
Either way Sasha85 it must be very distressing for you,I hope things get better for poor sasha:(

I've been known to fit during a faint, but I'm not epileptic.

When I was in my teens I used to faint and have a fit at the same time - it was due to low blood pressure.

Now I have a full time job, house to keep clean, OH to look after, 2 chinchillas and 2 dogs I have high blood pressure! (only joking :))

Its just something that happens as a side effect to her overall condition and we like Sasha have accepted it! Shes too old now to be proding and poking at her! By upping the heart tablets it will harm the kidneys so its a catch 22 unfortunately!

Either way Sasha85 it must be very distressing for you,I hope things get better for poor sasha:(

Cheers hun but to be honest shes fine in herself and thats all that matters as long as shes enjoying life shes here to stay! Thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apparently it stems from the heart problems not directly but its a contributing factor when her heart tablets were upped the seizures disappeared for 6 months its kinda like an angina attack cause its painful but she also spasms and twitches but we call it seizures!
It sounds like she's in quite a bit of pain when she has these episodes. :(

When I was in my teens I used to faint and have a fit at the same time - it was due to low blood pressure.

Now I have a full time job, house to keep clean, OH to look after, 2 chinchillas and 2 dogs I have high blood pressure! (only joking :))

LOL. Actually, in my case it ended up being a suspected tumour, but was sorted out. I still do fit a bit if I pass out, but I try to avoid situations that result in fainting!

Thing is, Sasha is an amazing age for any dog, let alone a Cav. I think you're probably right to let it go, but having said that, if she really does seem in pain or shocked and frightened after an episode, maybe you should investigate pain relief?

As soon as she comes round she looks at us all sitting round her as if hey guys what you all doing up its night time! She'll get up and wag her tail but usually we give her an extra heart tablet to get her heart regulated! We've spoken to the vet and she has seen her in the seizure and she said there would be no point in pain relief because its only when shes in the seizure that she seems in pain but when she comes round its as if shes just woken up and no seizure has occured! If it was a tumour she must have had it for over 2 years and it must be very slow growing but shes too old now to put her under to investigate so id rather not know if im honest!

As long as shes happy and eating then im not prepared to risk her and change anything as its worked this long and id be frightened to change it incase it acted detramental to her!

Last night she had one and ended up wetting ma sister was the only one in and she was doing homework listening to her ipod. Sash was sleeping in my room and ma sis heard her crying instantly from the living room just to let you know how loud the squealing is! It makes ya jump! But then today when i got up she was wagging her tail and barking at me letting me know she had missed me its like shes saying where have you been iv not seen you bad girl! Haha shes so funny!

sis heard her crying instantly from the living room just to let you know how loud the squealing is! It makes ya jump

At the risk of offending you.....this is extremely bothersome to me. Why would you allow her to continue experiencing pain episodes so bad your sister can hear her "squealing" in another room even though she has on her ipod? I'm sorry but I don't think she's funny....I think she's experiencing intense pain.

Actually that is quite offending! Did you not read the above? Anyway i think im a better judge of my own dog! Anyone else have a cav live as long as mine is currently? Its like saying you can control angina or heart attack pain before it occurs and we are allowing her to suffer! Apart from giving her an extra heart tablet and a steriod tablet to help her bounce back which she does there isnt really anything else we can do cause shes is completely fine once she comes around! That has upset me Cathy! :(

I can assure you if there was something available to give her she would be getting it!

Sasha85, for those of us whose dogs were PTS so they would not continue to suffer from incurable illnesses, I am requesting that you stop providing full descriptions of the painful episodes your dog is enduring. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing this.

Anyone else have a cav live as long as mine is currently?

But that's not the point. My cat was put to sleep at age 14. She could have lived to be 20 if I chose to continue treating her with chemotherapy and radiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back