• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Treats

How many treats to your cavs get a day?

• Less then 5 a week

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Less then 1 a day but more then 5 a week

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Between 1 and 5 a day

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Between 5 and 10 a day

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • More then 5 a day

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

qwickkertje

Well I've been wondering how many treats your cavs get on a daily basis..

Ours get about 2 a day (weekdays) and 1 a day during the weekend cause they get a treat when we leave for work and at bed time.. At bed time they get a "dentastick" a treat to clean their teeth..

Qwick is quite big but he's tall as well and he might be a bit too big but not extreme and since he already lost weight I just try to keep him as he is now (about 11kg).. Qwebble is a lot thinner but then again she's only 1,5 year...

Cleo gets small treats for whatever behaviour we're trying to encourage. Right now if she doesn't bark us awake at the crack of dawn, she gets a treat when we get up! Her treat is usually a few bits of kibble, deducted from her usual daily allowance.

Occasionally she gets one when she goes outside to do her business - just to remind her we think that is a good thing and should be encourgaed!

The new Super Stars made by Fish4Dogs are good, though no price has been announced, yet. They are very popular with my lot but very tiny (about as large as your little finger nail). They are made of fish, potato, salmon oilbeet, yeast, vitamins and minerals, only.

Good fun poll, but I would have rated it by weight of treats rather than number of treats :p

You see, my boys get lots of treats during the day, because they are in obedience training. Each treat would be half the size of my little fingernail. So though I would vote 5 - 10 treats per day. That might only be a daily total weight of 5 grams.

However, if I gave them one of Sam's biscuits, that would weight 32 grams.

By the gods I can be a stick in the mud at times :winkct:

Having said that, I will go & vote, so look out for my 5 - 10 treats.

Oakley has his Gold Cood citizen test in 5 weeks so he gets plenty of treats at the mo. He has the Barker and Barker Little liver treats which they can actually have up to 170 a day :)

Have you tried your Super Stars, yet ? Monty finds them diffficult because they are rather small for him and can fall out of his mouth.

Yes - the boys like them - I mix them in with the little liver treats so they get a surprise out of the treat bag :)

Ours get treats for obeying as well and they are very small but since that's not everyday.. they are calculated in the total :)

Perhaps I need to make a poll on what your cav weighs ;)

My two may get a lot of treats - they are tiny treats trust me! They also get plenty of exercise and are nice and trim - no belly overhangs here!

Ours get 1/2 biscuit a day, they're small to begin with, when they go to bed and usually another half when they go for their afternoon nap. However they all get at least one ice cube a day. They like the biscuit, but they go absolutely bonkers when they hear the ice machine!

Maddy gets a treat when we return from a walk - usually twice a day - one of these is a dentastick. She's gotten into the habit of rushing to the treat cupboard as soon as we get in, clever little madam! During the week I also give her a little treat when I come in from work, this is for being a good girl while I'm out.

We buy biscuits that are easily broken in half. They get half a biscuit when we leave for work and another half at lunch time. I use their regular kibble as treats for rewards after nail trimming, ear cleaning, and to practice recall.

Charlie gets liver treats for his training but he also has a chicken strip almost everyday. He's 5 months and weighs 12 pounds. And actually looks quite skinny but I guess its a puppy thing.

Mine all get a mini markie each at bedtime, plus a fishskin treat around lunchtime to help keep their teeth clean, if we are doing something like bathing, nailtrimming etc then they get an extra treat at the end of that too.

Not counting training treats (which are generally charlie bears nowadays), our girls get several little treats several times a day.

Most treats are either charlie bears or Old Mother Hubbard Small Biscuits. They randomly get a treat when they kennel when they are left home in the morning and at noon. They also get treats when the mail comes in because our mailman leaves them treats with the mail (he's a dog-friendly mail carrier!).

They also generally get a special treat in the evenings, such as a spoonful of pumpkin. They eat once at day (at noon) so they enjoy a little extra in the evenings. We also use carrots. They like ice cubes, as well, when they come in from playing outside.

Now, these are "approved" treats. The girls also get contraband treats from DH at EVERY MEAL!! He literally saves the last bite of whatever he's eating and then divides it into thirds and treats the girls. Can you believe it?! It's terrible!!

Back