• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

History of Toy Breeds ... especially early Toy Spaniels.

Arlene

I don't know how many others are history buffs, but I am so I thought I would share this book from 1911 that is now online.

It is by The Hon. Mrs. Neville Lytton and I find this woman put a great effort into actually researching and finding evidense of the beginnings of the Toy Breeds.

She especially concentrates on the Toy Spaniels and has some fascinating pictures of the earliest dogs included in the book.

In one part of the book she mentions that the Toy Spaniel of King Charles II was different than the Toy Spaniel of King Charles I - and she believed this was because of the influence of spaniels imported from the East. She believed wholeheartedly there were two kinds of small spaniels in Europe - those bred small from sporting spaniels, and those that came from the East. They all ended up mixed to create the toy breeds we see today.

I find that really interesting because I know a Japanese Chin (Spaniel) breeder who says that there is record of Catherine of Braganza - (the bride of King Charles II), receiving Japanese Spaniels as trade gifts from the Emporer before her marriage. Portugal was introduced to this breed in the 1600s when they were the first Japanese trading partner. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm this except for mention of it online by others interested in that breed.

Anyway, I find the whole topic fascinating - so much is a mystery.

This sight has links to the book for anyone else who might like the read.

http://csl.stanford.edu/~trish/englishtoy.html

Or you can directly click below (if the links work on this post).
I find clicking on the chapters one at a time saves my impatience
with download time.

Chapter 2, Origin and History, pages 13-60

http://csl.stanford.edu/~trish/TD_Origin-chap2.pdf

Chapter 3, The King Charles and the Pyrame, pages 61-85

http://csl.stanford.edu/~trish/TD-Pyrame-chap.pdf

The Entire Volume, (345 pages and a longer download)

http://csl.stanford.edu/~trish/TD_Book-1911.pdf

Enjoy!

Arlene and her :paw: three. :paw:

Brilliant Stuff Arlene!! Thank You so much!! :thnku::hug: Have bookmarked the links for future reading/reference!! I love learning more of the history of the breed! :cffee:

The last chapter talking about her dogs characters is my favorite part.
Her charlies antics are still recognisable in my own charlies nearly 100 years later

Im really so excited to read this, thanks so very much for posting it....Ive printed it out and will share it with many!
( Kisses your way for letting us all enjoy it) :rah::rah::rah:

Arlene you are a star! I have heard of this book and will be delighted to read it.

:thnku: Wow, thanks for posting this, Arlene! I had read about this book, but never thought I'd actually get to read it. :jump:

I hope those reading are enjoying the text. I skip about when I read so I'm constantly going back to read more that I've missed.

The list of illustrations in this book starts on page 14 of the PDF. I've been going through them and so far have found these fun to look at.

Type of Woodstock Blenheim of 1880 (photo) . . page 6 in book . . . PDF page 34
Butterfly, Mrs. Lytton's first Blenheim (photo) . . page 6 in book . . . PDF page 43
Red and White Italian Toy Spaniel Paul Veronese about 1560 . . page 20 . . PDF page 62
Red and White Italian Toy Spaniel Paul Veronese about 1560 . . page 22 . . PDF page 66

I noticed immediately the length of leg and finer bone of the dogs in the 1880 photos. I have never seen the paintings from 1560 before either, and was astonished at the rounded head and shorter (but still fine) muzzle of the original Phalene type.

Arlene and her trio.

Last edited:
Back