Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may be in urgent need of a Dublin city foster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default I may be in urgent need of a Dublin city foster

May have another dog coming in and already have one who needs foster too. This will make FOUR cavaliers at the moment... I badly, badly need city centre or suburb fosters... the same one or two people are ending up with dog after dog which isn't fair on them. I will have to start kennelling instead which is not great for fosters. Please if you know people who might like to foster, or are considering this yourself, I am happy to explain more so you can see if this is right for you. Normally foster periods are about two weeks, sometimes less. Because I have been away I have had two dogs in foster for several weeks and this is very hard on the same fosters.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default fostering

hi karlin shan here i live in cork if you want to pm me details of fostering i would consider it if my area is of any use to you i have cavalier puppy and boxer

Post Thanks / Like

Hu ,i can take one as well.But i cant get to Dublin.Hopefully kennels up and running sooner maybe sept or oct,can take dogs for you then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks all; my real problem is the immediate Dublin area -- and transport always, too. Usually I need to have these dogs within reasonable distance of my vet practices I use and homechecks, or it is incredibly time consuming to do long drives with dogs.

I am going to put out an appeal to the homes that have taken cavaliers from me, as well.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Any luck with these guys??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One going to a foster with an eye to rehome; one safe where he is; one may need a place next week; still haven't heard back about the fourth cavalier.

The need for fosters and transport within Dublin is however an ongoing and permanent issue. Thanks folks who have been in touch privately.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to help but I have a bit of an attatchment problem, I dont mean to sound selfish but I just cant put myself through it again, Im working on it and would love to hear about how other fosterers deal with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well they are usually only there for a week to two (often just 3-4 days) which isn't generally long enough for most people to get very attached. Also, a good motivation is it helps save dogs' lives and makes someone else very happy to also get a chance to enjoy a cavalier. Many times even being able to take a dog for one or two days means the difference between a safe dog, or the dog ending up at the pound or worse. Many people (most I think ! ) want their dog gone immediately when they want it rehomed. So far, I have never had to say no.

It is incredibly rewarding to see a dog that was at risk, blossom and get ready for a new home and a better life. Fostering isn't for everyone though but many find making this type of contribution one of the most rewarding things they do and enjoy hearing about how their former charges are doing as if they were nieces and nephews.

Most rescue dogs are not just like our own dogs -- and for that reason can often be surprisingly easy to send on to their new homes... they are;t quite what we want ourselves. That said, I have a few 'failed fosters' . I enjoy meeting all the dogs I meet, but only two have ever tempted me out of around 60 or so; and one, I kept -- Lily. But I'd actually have rehomed her too -- I kept her for two reasons; I suspected she had mild syringomyelia, and, she has a special attachment to Leo and he enjoys her. Because Leo has SM I am never sure how long he will be with me so am happy to do things that makes his life more pleasant.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to get attached very quickly but maybe that is because the two dogs we fostered before, I rescued them myself from the street and I was the one who got their tails wagging and built up their confidence. I suppose I might be a bit young to be able to deal with this maybe it will get easier with age!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two more cavaliers into rescue tonight. Never a dull moment.

I think foster places are sorted for these. Will post details on the dogs when I have them.

Five cavaliers total in rescue with a possible sixth coming in.
    Karlin