• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Snoring!

JudyG

Maddy, my 3 (ish) year old rescue Cav is perfect in every way :luv: except she snores! Now I know Cavs are well known for this & normally it's not a problem, but as Maddy sleeps just outside the bedroom - & inside the bedroom at certain times! - it's becoming a bit of an issue. I was wondering if any of you knew of a product I could use to alleviate the problem? I know there are several products, sprays etc... available to humans, but could they be used on a dog? Judy x

We just adopted a 6yr old puppy mill rescue with the same problem....between Nora's snoring and hubby's snoring....ARGH!!! (the dogs sleep in our room) I bring my ipod to bed and drown the noise out by listening to books on tape or podcasts. (btw, I LOVE podcasts!!) I have never heard of a snoring product for dogs....I wouldn't be excited to give our sweet Nora drugs of any kind even if there was a drug/medicine available. You might be able to use a white noise machine to help even out some of the noise. I use a white noise machine to quiet the neighbor dogs barking sometimes. (which gets my crew barking)

Good luck with Maddy!

Hi Cathy, no, she's not overweight at all & she has quite a long snout(?) I walk her for about 30 mins in the morning & again for about an hour in the afternoon so she's quite fit really. Yes Lynn, I also have hubby snoring next to me as well!! the difference is that I can shove, pinch or whack him & he generally wakes or moves, but Maddy, well it's like trying to wake the dead!! (although I'd never be so mean as to whack or pinch her :eek: she's way cuter than hubby!) The strange thing is, when it gets to early morning, 6ish, she goes really quiet! I wouldn't want to give her any kind of drugs, I was thinking more along the lines of a herbal spray? I did just read an article on-line which said when the dog is snoring or doing that choking thing, you should hold them gently by the muzzle & hold the face down towards the chest briefly covering the nose, this should help - until the next time!

Yes Lynn, I also have hubby snoring next to me as well!! the difference is that I can shove, pinch or whack him & he generally wakes or moves, but Maddy, well it's like trying to wake the dead!! (although I'd never be so mean as to whack or pinch her :eek: she's way cuter than hubby!)
:lol: I have a snoring hubby too, and I have given him a little shove every now and then! :lol:icon_whistling
My cavs snore a little too, but it doesn't bother me like human snoring - go figure! :)

I would try foam earplugs, as they have worked for me in the past (noisy neighbors). And Lynn's idea of a white noise machine is probably better than making Maddy sleep elsewhere in the house.

Pippin snores when on my bed on the mornings I have a lie in sometimes Gus joins in too.

Pippin has gotton a little on the chunky side lately so he is on a diet and the snoring has certainly got worse as he's gotton a little weight up.

Getting Maddy to sleep elsewhere isn't an option anyway as our house is very open plan & we have 2 cats who wander around. Maddy likes to snuggle up with Tilly - my youngest cat - on the end of the bed, it's so sweet to see :). I may try the ear-plugs, thanks.

I was told that seaweed helps reduce snoring, so I've been giving mine ground up dried seaweed (just a pinch) every day...I'm not sure if it helps since they've always had it, and Miles does snore sometimes, but the puppy doesn't snore...I buy the seaweed at Wild Oats (I think they were just bought by Whole Foods) and ground it up myself, and just add a pinch to their food daily...just an idea, good luck! :D

Thanks Carrie, I'll give it a go, maybe you have to give it to them over a period of time to make it work? Maddy is such a star in general I'm sure I'll either cure it or get used to it:). I sometimes look at her & can't believe she was picked up by the dog warden just wandering the streets :eek: It actually makes me quite upset to think about it too much :(. Someones loss has most definitely been our gain!! ( & Maddy's) Judy x

Judy bad news all three of our Cavs have snored and we never got the first two to stop ! Although this one only does when he is in a comotose state ,which is every time he goes to sleep LOL

HaHa!! I know what you mean! Maddy is almost impossible to move when she's asleep, she does the same thing when it's bath time too :).

There are two solutions:

1) earplugs

2) have her sleep in a room further away from your bedroom.

Cavaliers have noses that are shorter than would be normal if this wasn't a feature specifically bred for -- ie they have artificially short noses (even a longer nosed breed sample still has the foreshortened brachycephalic skull -- some researchers debate whether CKCS are officially brachycephalic in the strictest sense (like pugs) but they still are short-nosed). This can actually cause some very serious breathing problems in some dogs :(. In most, it causes two things: the cavalier 'snort', and snoring when asleep. Some do this more than others, especially in certain positions (as with people!). As snoring is directly related to the physical shape of the dog's head, there's nothing that I have ever heard of that will stop a dog snoring. I'd be very dubious about giving any thing to change what for this breed, is totally normal. It's one of the downsides (at least for some of us, including me! I hate snoring) that comes with owning this breed.

Being even slightly overweight can increase the problem. Every study in the US has demonstrated that most people who think they have fit dogs actually have overweight dogs -- and vets rarely say anything til the dog is grossly obese. Check the shape of your cavalier against Laura Lang's pictures here:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

A dog should not look any bigger that this dog from the above link -- and this would be slightly over what would be considered by this show breeder to be 'ideal weight'!!!

weightpics_003.jpg

Lily was grossly obese when I got her, snored like a truck driver, so much so, and so unbelievably loudly, that I couldn't sleep without two closed doors between us. Having lost a third of her body weight, she occasionally snores and I have to give her a shove to stop -- but she sleeps in my room with the others now.

In conclusion -- walks, meals, additives etc aren't going to help. Some dogs seem to snore less -- or more -- as they get older, and some will stop or improve if brought down to a lean weight. But other then that -- if you have a snorer, best to put her further away at night if she wakes you as there isn;t much else that you can do.

Thanks for that. Maddy was trimmed recently & it was amazing how much thinner she looked, she's very similar to the dog in the photo, size wise. I think I'm going to just have to learn to live with it. I like having her sleep close by & she likes to snuggle up with my cat who also sleeps in our room. I am definitely a pet slave :eek:

Back