• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Probably a REALLY silly question - coats!

TillyTommy

Today it is sooo cold and windy so I put them in coats for their walks. My husband laughed and said they only need them if its raining. But I said they will be sooo cold and I wanted their coats on! Of course he did as he was told (lol) but my question is.... do they feel the cold as I think they do? Or do others just use coats to keep the rain off??

Depends really!! If they are small babies with not a lot of coat, recovering from a serious illness or on the elder statesman side of the age range then I would say Yes they do! Personnally none of my adults wear coats when out and about, and I don't take them out in the rain unless I really have to!

End of the day, they are your babies and you will do what you feel most comfortable with, if you feel they will benefit from wearing a coat then go ahead! :dogwlk: :dogwlk: :D :D

When they are adults, I think the coats are more for us than for them. Of course, Scout does wear a little coat or sweater on occasion. :)

Also depends on the amount of coat. I never put Holly in any coat but a raincoat, but Amber does welcome a warm little soft coat when it's coat, because she has very little coat and you can see her shivering otherwise. Holly on the other hand is very well endowed in the coat line.

I've never put Dante in a coat for any kind of weather, but he still didn't mind the cold at all even though it went down to -20 degrees celsius at some point this winter. He was still running around being the usual mad himself when going outside while I was standing outside freezing when he didn't wanna come back inside. He turned one year old couple of days ago so he doesn't have his adult coat in yet either. But I guess it depends from dog to dog and I'm happy my dog can stand the cold cause I think dogs in clothes look silly (just my opinion, no offense to those who think otherwise).

My husband is in the camp of thinking they look silly too! I am more worried about then it rains and getting them a bit drier then they would normally. Thanks for the replies:)

I would feel silly walking mine in coats, but they have denser winter coats of thier own, at the moment, and like Cathryn's , don't do rain (just like me).

I've considered coats for mine incase of rain walking - but Suki wont even go out the back for a pee when its raining unless she's bursting so we dont really walk in the rain. Ralphie doesn't care he'll take the rain the heavier and muddier the better, he looks as though he will have a very heavy coat so i probably won't bother for him, the only benefit i think would be that they would be kept drier(obviously) and quicker to sort out when you get home

My hubby the same about coats - he was mortified that i would even consider it!! but he was also mortified when i wanted him to walk a dog on a pink lead - when it was him that bought it for her:razz:

From the photos I've seen of the green grass in Ireland and the UK....I am wondering if perhaps the weather never gets brutally cold 'over there' (??)...and the answer to this question would all depend on the extreme of the weather where you live. Our crew lives in winter coats for most of the winter because our location it is extremely cold & snowy most of the winter....(and even now that it is "spring"! :mad:) Our 'rule' is if the temp goes below 25F we put them in coats...this is probably more for us than them, and they could tolerate colder temps...but it makes me happy to have this house 'guideline'. Yesterday we had mid 20s weather but the wind was blowing so hard that the windchill made temps dangerously cold, and in the coats they went even though it is technically "spring"!

There are 2 CKCS that live just a short distance away from us and those dogs moved here from the UK....and they have heavy dense coats. I would guess that their coats are nearly 3 times thicker than Molly & Nora's coat....I doubt I will see Pumpkin & Brandy in a coat unless it was MUCH colder than our chosen threshold of 25F.

Each winter when the temps really drop and we start seeing temps in the single numbers there are always news reports reminding people to put coats on their dogs and never to leave the pets outside for very long. Coats are not just a fashion item in my area.

over here (UK) its more wet than cold the coldest we usually get is just below freezing average temp in winter is probably less than 10 degrees but somedays it can be upto 20!,
certainly i would coat all my dogs if i lived somewhere that was extremely cold - but then i'm not someone who would survive myself in temperatures that low as i hate being cold - wish i had my own fuzzy coat to keep me warm in the winter:p

SiânE wears a jumper on cold days. Her coat is about the third of the thickness of other cavaliers. This year especially she seems to appreciate the jumper more with the cold and windy weather.

From the photos I've seen of the green grass in Ireland and the UK....I am wondering if perhaps the weather never gets brutally cold 'over there' (??)

I remember hearing a story of Canadian soldiers during the Second World War who could not cope with the British winter. When ask why because the country they came from had cold and snowy winters, they reply that Canada had dry cold winters, in Britain we had damp cold winters and they found that harder to cope with.

Kosmo wears a coat AND shoes in the winter because he has a little thin wispy coat and he freezes to death after about 5 minutes. I keep Faith in a coat most of the time as well. She doesn't NEED a coat, but if she goes outside and gets wet, it takes her hours to dry :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies - Well its snowing here today so they will have their coats on but that will mean I will have to do the walk and OH says he feels silly! For me its more about them being wet and then taking forever to dry off and also to avoid the mad turn they take when they are wet, same as when they have come out of the bath:)

p.s. and I agree with you Davy - When my Mum comes from the States she really suffers with her Arthritis. She says for her its a damp cold in England and she cant get warm no matter what. She says it go right to her bones!:)

Bailey - has always felt the cold - even though he is our tubbiest dog.
Tarmac used to shiver alot when he got cold/wet - especially if he was not moving about much - such as when one of us goes into a shop.

so....
We have a trunk full of the stuff.

They all have full leg waterproofs for downpour weather - it helps us too as it takes less time to dry them off - wet dog is not a really pleasant smell.:grnyuk:
And wet settee from wet dog isn't pleasant either.:yuk:

We find that their fleeces are great for mucky weather like we are having - i.e. rain or snow - on nasty salty muck - that turns everything black : instead of it staying on them - it usually just splashes onto the chest bit of their coat - which is off and in the wash later.:)

Im cold natured, and so is babs. Since she's so small and has such a little coat, she freezes all the time, even in the house. So I tend to give her a little sweater or coat when we go play in the backyard.

Back