• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Buying Heartgard in the US

Lynn

Has anyone here in the US bought Heartgard through 1-800 pet meds??? I put in an order yesterday and just got an email today saying that my vet does not authorize the purchase and I have to pick it up at the vet's office. I wasn't aware that heartworm meds had to be administrated through my vet. This really irritates me that I can't buy it where I choose. :mad:

You need to get a prescription from your vet and fax it to the site where you're trying to get the med or talk to the Vet Office ahead of time so they will OK the request from the site.

I believe the reason for this is that you can't administer heartworm preventative if the dog has heartworms so you need to have the heartworm test before you can purchase the medication. My vet will write the prescription so I can purchase anywhere else. But since they prefer I buy it from them they will price match.

I called my vet and talked it over...I should have done this before I posted this here. Their price was only a few dollars more than what I could buy online, so I will buy from the vet as I have been. BUT my three have had their heartworm tests this year and have had their physicals....are up to date on their vaccinations....there really was no need for my vet to outright reject the request from 1800petmeds. From the info I got from the vet office I'd have to talk it over directly with the dr. before the dr. would write the prescription. Stupidly, I was not aware that Heartgard had to have a prescription....I was thinking it was as available to buy like Frontline is.

Back