• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help! Very picky puppy?!?!?!?

cavalierlover301

are all cavaliers so picky when it comes to food? My puppy Charlie who's five months won't eat anything that "dog" on the lable! I have to mix his food with gravy from dinner. He will sometimes eat it if I hand feed him. I tried to mix his dry food with all different kinds of canned food too like benefit or purina. He has beneful, purina one, wellness and iams dry food and won't eat it! What did you guys feed your puppies?? Thanks

Most of those foods are pretty mediocre quality -- I wouldn't feed anything you can buy at a supermarket. There are lots of great foods available that are better quality and may be more appealing. There are quite a few threads on food recommendations; if you do a search, you will bring a few of them up.

Basically though you have a puppy training YOU to keep doing interesting things for him and fussing over him at mealtime -- he has turned mealtime into an extended attention seeking social period all about HIM, which right now, you are complying with. If you let him do this, he WILL become finicky. :cool: This is what you need to do:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=22177

PS -- I wouldn't feed gravy from dinner -- this is most likely, pretty caloric. (y)

If he only gets what's on offer, like a fussy kid, he will eat.

*G*
Solution for fussy-pupness:
1. Select a goood quality food.
2. STICK with it.
3. Put the food down, don't fuss, ignore him.
4. Leave for 15 mins. Pick it up again.
5. NO TREATS in meantime.
6. Repeat until pup gets the message. They generally cotton on quite quickly, although some can be stubborn.

But- first make sure that there's no medical reason for your pup to not eat. Also bear in mind that at his age he is possibly teething and it may hurt. Maybe this is why he likes it with gravy because the liquid softens the kibble. Try adding some hot water and leaving the kibble for a couple of mins. It will soften the food AND make it smell more appetising (to the dog, anyway). Don't get sucked into the different-food-every-week roundabout. It will cost you a fortune and you'll end up with a fussy dog.

thanks everyone! It might be him teaching though because he's is finally starting to lose those needle teeth(yay!) and he did try hard food today and chewed it really weirdly. But yes I'm gunna stop fussing over his meals :eek:
he's also getting neutered on Tuesday so that's when its just gunna be dog food and the chicken jerky treat. Thanks again!

I would not feed him Beneful, Purina One, or Iams, as they are low quality foods.

The Wellness has big kibbles, which might be too difficult for a teething puppy to chew. Could you try softening the Wellness with a little warm water and see if he can chew it more easily? My cavs didn't like Wellness when they were pups, though, and I noticed some of the kibbles looked burned around the edges so I tossed the bag and bought a different brand.

You might want to opt for a smaller kibble such as Royal Canin, Canidae, Evo, Instinct or Blue Buffalo until he's finished teething. You can find Canidae, Instinct, and Royal Canin at Pet Supplies Plus. Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin are at PetSmart, while Evo can be found at specialty shops.

thanks! I'll deffidently try one if them! You live in Ohio too?!?! LOL I was just wondering if I was the only on in the us! But thanks everyone!!!

Great advice already offered, some pups do go off their feed somewhat when they are teething, but on the whole I have found that many Cavaliers can be very picky in their first year then seem to make up for it in adulthood and turn into the veritable "Dog Dustbin"!! :lol:
He won't starve himself deliberatly, and don't go down the route of handfeeding him either, you will be making a rod for your own back in doing that!

:):)No you are certainly not the only one! When I got my Tilly she was dreadfully fussy. Not like the greedy Cavi's I had heard about. Oh course she would eat it if I hand feed her bit by bite whilst you could see the grin on her face. :):) I had three children at the time and it became too time consuming and I did begin to think - hang on a minute! So like you were advised and what I did was leave the food done for a limited time - 10 minutes, but maybe it should have been longer. Is she didnt touch it it was lifted and no treats given. This lasted just 3 days - she got hungry and learned although she is my princess I could not feed her bit by bit by hand. She has never done it again and loves her food

I have found that many Cavaliers can be very picky in their first year then seem to make up for it in adulthood and turn into the veritable "Dog Dustbin"!! :lol:

Oh my - you couldn't be more correct! Merlin used to be the fuss pot over food - now he can't get enough - we reckon he'd be a great sniffer dog - we'd make loads of ££££ if food was illegal;)

ok so its good to know that they are all mostly picky! My grandma works at the avon lake animal clinic and she is gunna get me one of the foods you guys listed. She is also getting him the omega 3 fish oil caps to cause I read on her its will help him b healthier. Thanks again!!

I have one fussy opne and one that will eat as much as he can whether its edible or not - scoff now and ask questions later.

But i've just changed both mine to Royal Canin and my fussy girl has left the bowl spotlessly licked clean everytime so far i'm hoping she keeps it up

good luck Suki had me tearing my hair out at one point but i did all the things mentioned in this thread and with perseverence (ALOT!!!) we're getting there

Mine was extremely fussy for better part of his first year but he's stopped that mostly now after I changed his kibble to James Wellbeloved after going through other high quality foods like Orijen, Eagle Pack and Royal Canin, all of which he hated to eat. I still can't get him to eat twice a day but he seems to be doing fine eating just once a day so I won't push that issue, I'm just glad he's eating on his own without me handfeeding him/playing his games to get him to eat.

well I hope Charlie learns to eat JUST dog food! That'll be the day! He has to stay the night at the clinic cause he got neutered so all he can eat there is dog food. Poor guys probly heart broken!! " where's my chicken scraps?!?!?"

Back