Thread: upset tummy

Post Thanks / Like

Default upset tummy

my dog has not been eating much the last few days i think he's teething as he is really chewing hard on everything and when i was brushing his teeth yesterday a tooth fell out he is still very active and keeps going over to his food bowl but just looks at it i can hear his belly making noises all the time so i know it is uset he's running around playing with his toys and you can hear his tummy making noises what can i give him to settle it i'm sure it's to do with his teething
    where would I be without my dog

Post Thanks / Like

How old is your baby? Puppies do often go off their feed when they are teething, it might be worth softening his feed down a little with some warm water to make it easier to chew if you are feeding him a kibble diet. HTH?
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also -- don't leave the bowl down -- soften the food as Cathryn suggests by soaking it for a bit, but just give him 10-15 minutes to eat. This breed should never be allowed to free feed as they can become quite food manipulative and finicky; they also too easily gain weight and will not restrict the amounts they eat as adults in most cases. Just put the bowl down at set meals, don;t coax him, ignore him and leave him to it; if he doesn't eat, then remove the bowl, no treats, and repeat at the next scheduled feeding time *only*. This could definitely be teething but also could be a bit of being manipulative and you want to make sure mealtimes are structured, set times without social interaction from you. .

While they are teething make sure he has chews as he'll appreciate those; many puppies also appreciate a frozen washcloth to chew on as it numbs the pain. Just take a washcloth (flannel), soak it in cold water, wring it out, and place it in the freezer still tightly rolled up from the wringing so it forms a kind of log and freeze.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

great idea about the cloth i'm going downstairs right now to do it thanks
    where would I be without my dog