• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bleeding gastroenteritis

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This really seems to be going around right now. I know 5 people with dogs with this at the moment and Leo woke up at 4 am with it as well -- had me up at 4, at 6, and went to the vet along with the new rescue boy Obie this morning after passing blood. Some dogs with this are also vomiting, including vomiting blood. :(

I was speaking with my vet about this and just want to emphasise again how important it is to get your dog to a vet immediately if s/he is passing bloody stools or pure blood. By the time they are passing noticeable amounts of blood they are usually quite ill and can go badly downhill very fast due to dehydration (as my vet explained, their gut lining gets eaten away by the virus and they cannot retain liquids -- hence they pass runny and watery poops but more seriously, quickly become dehydrated). This vet generally wants to keep any dog that is passing blood like this in on a drip -- that is how serious it can be! She wanted to keep Leo, but as I have dealt with this before and know Leo tends to recover quickly, and also as he hadn't had his pain pills for SM and they don't carry them in the practice and was already starting to scratch, I said I'd bring him in first thing tomorrow if he isn't greatly improved by then and meanwhile make sure he stays hydrated.

Anyway for those in Ireland, keep an eye on your doglets and be sure to contact a vet if yours is passing blood.

So sorry to hear poor leo is unwell..I hope he makes a quick recovery and the others escape this nasty virus.

Hope everything is okay with Leo. This is why you don't want to mess around with bleeding. Like you said, once the blood is noticeable something serious may have already been going on. Hope Leo is okay!!

That's a horrible way to spend your bank holiday Monday.I hope they make a quick recovery.Having had only one doglet ill with gastroenteritis two weeks ago, I can sympathise with anyone trying to manage this condition.Happily Miss daisy is fully recovered if not a bit emaciated after her ordeal.
Sins

Hi

I hope Leo makes a good and quick recovery.

I do not want to frighten anyone but Esther my rescue ruby nearly died in Jan 08 with the same problem.

She had sloopy poo[no blood] in the afternoon that then escalated to find her colapsed at 11.30pm. She was very ill on drips for 3 days iv everything.She did recover but has left her quite traumatised even more so than usual.

So please any sign of blood in poo GET YOUR DOG TO THE VETS.

Thanks J x

Hope Leo is feeling better soon and the blood stops. It's a horrible thing and seems so easy to catch. Sally often gets runny poops but thankfully has never had blood.

Poor Leo!!

I am so sorry to hear he is so poorly karlin, you must be shattered right now! :xfngr: That he is improved quickly for you and does not have to go back in the morning.

As Karlin says, if your dog has loose bowel movements get them to the vet, it may be nothing, BUT it could be the start of something far more serious, most vets would sooner see your dog at the start of an illness rather than when things are more advanced.

My vet and I had a nice (!) discussion on poops. She says basically it is when they are like watery liquid with little or no solid matter that you need to start getting very concerned -- that means they are unable to absorb fluids in the gut and everything is rushing right through. Leo declined really fast -- from a solid normal poop at midnight to the runs on the floor at 6 am to liquid poop and blood at 8:30. There was no way I was going to wait and see if starving him might settle his stomach -- that kind of liquid runs is very different from more normal diarrhea.

He slept most of the day and was in much better form by late afternoon. I gave him some water to make sure he was getting some liquids in then had to go out for the radio slot, but by the time I came home he was happy to try to beg for chips from my fish and chips so obviously was much better. :rolleyes:

Hopefully he won't be getting me up tonight as well. :eek:

Glad to hear that Karlin, sounds like he is on the mend if he is up to scrounging food from you! That's the thing with these dogs, they can go down very quickly, but on the positive side they bounce back even quicker!!

Oh poor little Leo. So sorry to hear he had a rough run there. Sounds like he is on the mend now though.

I hope Leo is feeling better today..... :xfngr: I've been thinking about him and hoping that he is on the mend.

Much better today, he's lying on the floor in the sun; but he still hasn't had a single poop! That injection really slows the bowel...

Poor Leo. Glad he is feeling better and I hope that continues from now. My poor friends were getting daily poop updates when Dylan had an upset tummy. He's never had watery poo though. It can take ages for them to poo again after a good clear out plus the break from food. We are finally back to brown poos and got a big bag of Royal Canin Intestinal from the vet today. I really recommend it. The canned is more appealing but very expensive.

My vet told me not to let him off his lead and to keep him close to me as there are so many bugs going round and he tends to have his nose to the floor if I let him.

Glad to hear Leo is feeling better today, don't blame him soaking up a nice bit of sun, you never know when you're next going to see it these days!! :lol:

Back