• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about Gabapentin

Cathy Moon

What is the normal dose for Gabapentin, when a cavalier begins to need it for SM? Also, is it available in tablet form (that can be cut)? I know someone whose cav needs to start on Gabapentin, and they aren't sure what dosage.

Cathy,

When Molly was first diagnosed, a neurologist from Virginia recommended 10mg per kg every 8 hours increasing up to 30mg per kg if necessary to abate scratching.

To my knowledge gabapentin is only available in capsule and liquid forms. The capsules are much cheaper. It also pays to call around, as I found a local pharamcy to be much cheaper than the big chains. I currently pay around $31 for 540 100mg pills (3 months worth). Hope this helps.

:flwr:Thanks for the information.

After you provided the dosage, I googled Gabapentin and found info about the forms it comes in - the liquid form contains Xylitol which is toxic to dogs, so that's out. The tablets are much higher mg doses than the capsules. So the capsules seem to be the best/only option.

Hi Cathy. We've used both the tablets and capsules. Our vet practice sells it and depending on which supplier from whom they order dictates whether we have pills or capsules. Spencer takes 200mg twice a day for severe scratching. I've heard that it's often hard to divide the capsules equally. Could your friend try the 100mg tablets and cut them in fourths? I use a pill splitter to cut my cats medicine in fourths and it's pretty easy to do.

Clare's document with recommended dosages is here:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/Treatment algorithim (Syringomyelia made simple).pdf

She recommends starting with 10-20mg/kg (or about 5-10mg per lb). You can get gabapentin a LOT cheaper in the US! I pay about $60 for 100 pills. On the flip side, for years I could get claritin here for a fraction of the cost in the US.

I have split the capsules but it is a pain. Though that said delivering an exact dosage isn't that big a deal. It is easy to split tablets, I do it all the time for other medications and pill cutters make it really easy. We can only get capsules over here.

I'm able to get 240 100mg tabs/caps, a 60 day supply, for $54 at our vet. They are crazy expensive for everything else (office visits were raised to $72) but they sell Spencer's gab for dirt cheap. Hopefully no one from their office reads your board. :lol:

Last edited:
Wow I feel very lucky paying just $31 for 540, 100mg capsules. :)

Lyrica on the other hand is crazy expensive. Molly tried one prescription of that, it was $65 for 10 days worth and in her case didn't really make a difference.

Lyrica is still patent protected and there's no generic available. Gabapentin is now generic and there's competition, hence the savings. Lyrica is REALLY expensive.

Thanks to each of you for the dosage info.

Just one more question - Clare's document shows NSAIDs as being the first choice for pain med, followed by Gabapentin if it doesn't work. Is that what was tried on your cavs at first? Just wondering, because I thought NSAIDs would be a little hard on their digestive systems over the long term.

I suppose they all have their side effects. People use them extensively though all the time so I guess it is weighing up each choice in the balance and monitoring for side effects. Different NSAIDS are tolerated in different ways I think. I cannot take ibuprofen myself as I had severe problems with it eventually after long term occasional use. But I could use others if needed.

My vets followed the protocol as they needed to under Irish law to prescribe a human medication not licensed for use in animals. They needed their records to reflect that we'd followed a standard pathway.

Hi - just been reading this thread (sooo helpful - thx). Does anyone know if its OK to open the gabapentin capsules and feed the drug in powder form mixed with food/treat?

Also - apart from the tiredness (does this get better??) are any of your dogs showing any gabapentin side affects? My vet has assured me there are no long term side effects, however Tilly is only 18 months old and on 300 mg daily - which we may have to increase. Just wondered if any one has been using this drug long term ..

Thanks - Ruth

I used to take it out and mix it because I used half a capsule but it it better to give it in the capsule I think -- I just put it in a bit of soft cheese (eg Laughing Cow) and have no problems with pills.

There can be some side effects -- sleepiness especially on high doses, dizziness etc is reported in people. But generally it is well tolerated.

300mg daily wouldn't be particularly high according to Clare Rusbridge's protocol. Just keep in mind the condition is progressive and gabapentin doesn't help the condition at all -- it only helps with the pain and therefore the symptoms. If you have a cavalier with very pronounced symptoms at only 18 months, you'd certainly want to seriously discuss the surgery as an option with a neurologist familiar with SM, if that is something you would consider. It isn't an option for all cavaliers, nor a choice everyone wishes to make for all sorts of valid reasons, but it is the only way of possibly stopping the progression.

I would definitely advise keeping the powder within the capsule - it can actually be very corrosive to the bowel lining.

Teddy has been on 900mg per day for some months now, without any side effects - the sleepiness wears off in most dogs, and generally it is well tolerated as the body processes the drug very quickly, hence the need to give 8 hourly doses.

He has been taking the drug for over 2 years now, and I'm aware of other dogs who've been on it longer. Clare Rusbridge's drug protocol suggests annual liver function tests whilst taking this, but when I was last in contact with her, she wasn't aware of any dogs having liver problems.

Wishing you well with Tilly.

Forgot to mention that Leo too has been taking it for over two years with no problems or obvious side affects.

Jack takes 75mg every 8 hours. They are custom compounded (so no pill cutting necessary) for about $75 for a month supply w/shipping included.

Back