Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly covers in stead of cones

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Belly covers in stead of cones

As you can see in another thread posted today

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=18407

Molly was spayed today. Karlin asked to see her belly cover, which we got from the vet. It covers her entire stomach from throath to behind, but it enables her to eat, and also pee and so on without problems. We also received a cone, but we should only use that if she tries to bite off her belly cover.
    Molly will use this for 10 days, then her stitches will be removed.
    Actually, I think it would be easy to make yourself, if your vet does not have one: A piece of cloth, six places with broad bands, two places in her behind to tie op the end, and two rings on her back to connect all bands and strings.
    Have fun at the sewing machine

Post Thanks / Like

That's very interesting! I wish there was one I could make with little back legs for Wednesday's knee surgery. We've been wearing a long sleeve onsie turned upside down. She's been able to wiggle out of it several times. This would stay put!
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is really interesting -- such a smart way of managing stitches. It's like a little apron! This looks like a possible project for Emma, the sewing whiz! I bet lots of people would like these for spays and neuters.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

A wonderful idea. I haven't seen that in the USA.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great idea but would it not slow down the healing process, I would have thought the air would need to get at the stitches, I would be afraid they would sweat in that???
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Sue.
    I don't know how long the healing process usually takes, since Molly is our first dog. Our vet will remove the stitches 10 days after the operation. The belly cover hides another tissue over the stitches, and she is supposed to wear it all 10 days.
    So far it has worked. She has not tried to rip it off or to scratch the stitches at all, and it has not been necessary to use the cone yet.
    Of course it is only her first day, but she is doing great. A bit tired, but happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow that looks really interesting, and much easier on the shins than the cone - which Cleo did not initially emjoy too much either!
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks soooo much more comfortable & sensible than those horrible cones.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

That's definately interesting!

In the good old days (when I worked!) we didn't automatically put a cone on the animal. Some of them never bothered their sutures. Sutures usually came out in 7-10 days and I also wonder about keeping them all covered up. It does seem like it would be a good moisture trap that could cause problems.

BUT, if that's what your vet told you to do then I'm not the one to question it! Hope all goes well and that she heals nicely.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks brilliant - I'm sure one could be made out of a mesh type fabric that would allow the air to circulate better? Otherwise I'd prob only use it when the dog couldn't be supervised.

I think a really determined dog would get that off, but most Cavaliers don't seem to bother their stitches {in my experience}.

Actually that would be very useful for the Winter in a waterproof fabric LOL
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org