• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I've booked Bella for her spay - any tips or advice?

bellacherie

I realise this is probably OTT, but I've booked Bella in for her spay on May 2 (she will be 6 months, 1 week old).

I've already asked the vet nurse heaps of questions and this is the process:

7.10am I drop her off.

12.00pm Surgery (Bella is booked in for the first slot)

4.30pm I can go and see her and if she is ready I can take her home.

I told the nurse I am happy to wait if she isn't ready to come home when I go to collect her.

I am also electing to get the fluid therapy and bloodwork done (I would have thought that would be compulsory :eek:).

Is there anything else I should find out or do? I already have some onesies and will make sure I have some chicken and rice (her favorite) on hand.

You can probably tell a newbie a mile away ;)

From a human point of view, i knew what a mess i was in when my piggie went in to have a lump removed. you will probably be sat chewing your nails so try and make sure you have something to distract you from thinking about it. try not to worry.

Try to keep yourself busy while she's away - i did i think it helped a little, i went shopping, dentist, etc etc i think it helped.

Keep your evening free when she comes home cos you probably wont want to do much else other than make sure she's ok - even though she'll be fine, it'll make you feel better

Post on here any worries - thats what i did on another forum and had my mind put at rest quickly and effectively, its very good therapy;)

Remember Your dog will recover from this alot quicker than you will

Take care and good luck

Have some form of clothing on hand in case she starts biting & licking at her suture line. Some people on the forum get what I think are called "onsies"? to put them in. Also get her some things to chew on to keep her occupied (probably won't need these for a day or so after surgery).

And yeah, have something to keep you really occupied because every 10 minutes feels like an hour.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yes I have some onesies and a lovely member has offered me her belly cover! :eek:

I am going to make sure I'm working most of the time she is away - otherwise I'd be a nervous wreck!

Bella has been to the vet who will be operating - and we liked him - hopefully that's a good sign. :)

Well my Holly was just done last friday, so only 6 days and to be honest, I was a nervous wreck before it. Whilst she was in getting it done I just plodded on with some housework - hoovering etc as I knew it would keep me busy and would mean that I wouldnt need to do it later, and could let Holly have some peace and quiet for a day or two without me hoovering round her!

Holly doesnt have any external stitches, and hasnt been too bad at trying to get to her scar - we just give her into trouble when she is about to lick, and she knows now not to!

Restrcting her movements is harder though. She still wants to cound about like a usual puppy.... and I swear I get the heebie-jeebies everytime she does it haha!
She's fine though!

Try not to worry too much - although I know thats easier said than done!

xxx

Hi there - I've updated in another thread - bella is doing pretty good now but is hard to keep still!

Back