• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

outdoor kennel

shan

does anyone have any good advice on choosing a outdoor dog kennel i would prefer plastic i want it for the summer months my husband also has a boxer dog

Hmmm -- you mean just a dog house type thing for the dogs to take shelter? I am sure you don;t mean something to leave the dogs in alone outside? Generally you wouldn't want to leave a cavalier outdoors using a kennel or doghouse unless you are around outside too. They're an indoor breed and a lot of the dogs I get in to rescue with behaviour problems are those left outside-- they tend to get severe separation anxiety and start other problem behaviours like constant barking etc. I know all the breeders on the board will confirm this (y) as will Tara from Dog Training Ireland (indeed she spends a lot of time trying to rehabilitate such dogs). Sadly cavaliers are a top target for thieves when left alone outside as well. We had three high profile thefts of cavaliers in Dublin alone leading up to Christmas this year. :( They regularly get sold on for breeding or worse -- to bait dogs for dogfighting in both the UK/Ireland and US (think training that went on at the Michael Vick compound for example -- it's how they blood fighting pit bulls).

If you are just looking for a fun-style doghouse the dogs can use when you are around -- I think plastic ones are all pretty much the same; depends more on what you like the looks of. :)

dog house

no karlin i wouldnt be leaving her outside for any long periods of time just for very occasional use in the summer months she has an indoor crate for use indoors and when i am out never leave her in the garden when i am out even though we have high walls and a secure gate

Personally, if you're going to be leaving her outside for ANY length of time on a warm day I'd get something that would offer considerably more shelter from the sun than plastic - unless you have a well shaded nook where you could put a plastic kennel. Although if you are going to be in the house wouldn't it be easier to simply leave the back door open and then she can wander in and out and she pleases?

If all cavaliers are like mine, I can't imagine any of them wanting to be in the yard for more than a few minutes if mom or dad are not out there with them. We have a doggie door from the main house playroom to our fenced yard and our Cav will look at me like, oh come on mom, lets go out! Then she will race out the door, look for me, and if I am not following her, she zooms back inside! The exception will be quick potty breaks, where she will politely excuse herself from the cozy couch, look at me, then run outside to do her business, maybe chase a butterfly, then, zoom, back inside with me.

Regarding a yard doggie house, she would never stand for that, as her outside time with me is just fun, jump, chase, play, then hop on a lawn chair for a little warm sunshine and grooming. I can't imagine her sitting in a dog house, by herself, in the yard period. But, that's just my girl. ;)

Regarding a yard doggie house, she would never stand for that, as her outside time with me is just fun, jump, chase, play, then hop on a lawn chair for a little warm sunshine and grooming. I can't imagine her sitting in a dog house, by herself, in the yard period. But, that's just my girl. ;)
Same for my cavs - they wouldn't know what to do with a dog house! :)

Back