Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: microchipping

Post Thanks / Like

Default microchipping

had heidi microchipped today and i feel awful

She bled loads and squealed like a banshee but in typical cavalier style her tail never stopped wagging.

i'm such a nasty mam, but so relieved it's done and dusted

xx
    Heather, proud to be owned by Harry & Heidi

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly how you feel cos I did too! but hey we do it cos we love em.
    Better to be safe than sorry

Post Thanks / Like

awwww hugs to your cavi too xxx

Post Thanks / Like

It hurt's them for a few minutes, then they're as right as rain, plus, whats a few seconds discomfort, for something that may help save your pet?
    Microchipping intro by the IKC was a great idea when it was introduced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That shouldn't really have happened... never have heard of them bleeding a lot, and it just is a quick pinch though it does startle them. But generally it is a lot easier on a dog to wait to chip when they are neutered as then it can be done while under GA and most people are neutering anyway. Most vets will recommend that approach too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We microchip all our puppies before they go to their forever homes and in all the puppies we have had done, none have bled. A few have cried a little when the chip was injected, but no worse than any innoculation. For anyone else chipping their dog when they are awake, have the vet put a little topical anesthetic on before inserting the chip.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm....

Having seen your pics of Heidi I am somewhat surprised to hear that she bled!! As a trained Micro-Chipper I can tell you right now that it is the more lightly marked dogs that are inclined to bleed rather than the heavily marked one's! I have yet to chip a dog that bled and believe me I have chipped plenty! YES the needle is big but it is, as Karlin has said, merely a slight pinch and certainly causes less distress than a chilled vaccine being administered!

Main thing is that it is done now, but be sure that your vet checks on the location of the chip when she goes in for her annual booster OK??
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The thing that would worry me is, what did the vet hit that would have caused a lot of bleeding? That area should just be loose skin, there's no major blood vessel that should cause bleeding, normally.

I think the IKC chip programme is a good one too; though I know some breeders don't like chipping very young pups. It has made it possible to track down the owners of some of the dogs coming into the pounds too, through the breeder. Though depressingly, some breeders don't care and don't have records of who took which puppies -- and won't come get one of the dogs of their own breeding from the pound. On the other hand, the very low level of breeder-chipped dogs coming into the pound to me indicates that dogs from IKC breeders are not the main problem with the purebreds that come into the pound -- it is primarily backyard bred dogs from non IKC breeders which therefore are not breeder-chipped (all puppies registered with the IKC must be chipped now).

Part of the reason I chip my Irish Cavalier Rescue dogs now is so that if they ever get lost and the new home never transfers the dog to their name, at least the dog will return to me. I would like to see the pounds require reclaimed unchipped dogs to be immediately chipped by the owner as part of the reclaim cost!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

it was the dog warden who chipped her, and he did harry's microchipping as they do it for free, she is fine now but i'llpost a pic of the blood on my top from her, i felt awful xx

Post Thanks / Like

here is pic, sorry if it's not ment to be in here