• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

trouble pooping!?

cavalierlover301

well charlies been home for a hour and I'm so happy : )! He got home from his neuter and microchipping and It was about a hour later and I herd him yelping! I ran into the living room and he was trying to poop and was cring. He did manage to poop but started shaking. I told my grandma and she said its normall. Cause he's really tender down there. Didyou guys have this? And what should I do? Feed him less so he dosent poop a lot? I mean feed him enough but not a lot... You now what I mean?!? LOL

I have no idea sorry! But maybe you could call the vet to be sure.

I would imagine less food while he is so sore is better :confused:

well charlies been home for a hour and I'm so happy : )! He got home from his neuter and microchipping and It was about a hour later and I herd him yelping! I ran into the living room and he was trying to poop and was cring. He did manage to poop but started shaking. I told my grandma and she said its normall. Cause he's really tender down there. Didyou guys have this? And what should I do? Feed him less so he dosent poop a lot? I mean feed him enough but not a lot... You now what I mean?!? LOL

NOO, I wouldn't feed him less, so he won't have a bowel movement. His body needs nutrition (he still is a pup right?). You might feed him some soft food and add some pumpkin to it (not pie filling, just pumpkin). Feed him some yogurt. Shaking after surgery 'can be' somewhat normal. With the human grade gases my vet now has, that hasn't happened to us. Mine come home active and wanting to eat.

Poor little fellow. His pain will probably settle down considerably in the next 24 hours. If it doesn't, I'd give the vet a quick call & see if maybe he can prescribe something to help him through this phase.

I recently had Sonny & Beau neutered, and where Sonny did not show any pain, Beau had a bit of a rough first night. He woke about every 2 hours giving little cries. By morning though he was almost back to his old self.

It is hard to see them in pain isn't it.

yes, every dog reacts differently to pain. My Ollie was neutered at 6 months and it was like nothing happened! Just like people, I think it is difficult to "poop" after anesthesia. If he's not much better today, I would ring the vet just to make sure it's normal for some dogs. Just give him lots of TLC and make sure he gets a lot of rest. Good luck!

One more thing...

I forgot that my vet told me when I brought Ollie home after surgery, not to feed him that night and only to allow him small drinks of water at a time. The next day, she said I could go back to my normal feeding schedule.

Back