• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppys Diet

Brian M

Hello

After stating on a previous post i have dumped all the rubbish food and treats we have now started this week Poppys diet and i also decided to include Daisy as shes started developing a bit of a podgy waist line too.So with Poppy being my main concern ,i must admit i am too scared to weigh her as i might get heart failure, we shall just say shes is 15.2 k ,i have just weighed her, but she is a large cavalier , so i feed her in the morning app 75 gramme and the same in the evening made up of part burns light kibble part r c cavavlier kibble with a small amount of finely cut up white chicken or turkey meat with a squirt of salmon oil on top .Daisys weight is 7.8 k and i feed similar but 50gram morning and the same in the evening,i notice on a lot of sites people say 1/2 cup or a full cup but what is a cup ? to me you can get small cups medim cups and great big cups so when it states 1/2 cup what is that. i do like to vary the type of food ie chicken or salmon or turkey { all from m & s) and also the kibble i have read about Wellness but cant find it ,so now to my question answer in grams pls am i even now giving too much ,i suspect i am but the amount in the bowel does not look a lot .Your exprt advice most wellcome ,oh and the odd treat is Ocean Bites.

A cup means one cup or 8 dry ounces American measurement. This is slightly less than UK measurements (imperial measures).

One cup US = 110 grams.

If you have a dog where you cannot see a very distinct waistline from above, then the best approach is to reduce the amount they currently eat by a third and do not top up with treats during the day. :) Remember that salmon oil is very fatty and thus you should probably reduce the kibble amount anyway by perhaps a fourth of what you are serving now, just to start with. Oil is pure fat!

I wouldn't worry too much about various brands -- find a good brand that is easily available to you and good quality and just go with that, or rotate between kibbles. I don't think I'd mix two different ones -- a given kibble is designed to be balanced as is and some are more caloric than others... If you want to use different kibbles I'd just use one brand til you finish the bag then try a different brand if you'd like, but not mix. Really the good quality brands are all pretty much the same in what they deliver nutritionally. I never get too wound up about which brand I am using. I tend to alternate between bags of James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin but occasionally I'll order something different from www.zooplus.ie, such as Orijen or Almo Nature.

This is an excellent page of advice on feeding and keeping your dog in good weight (though food recommendations are all American brands.

www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Wellness is American and not likely to be available in the UK, but there are excellent European bands, no need to try and find a similar thing from the US I think! :).

Karlin
Many thanks for your kind reply ,with Pops being a big girl what do you think her target weight should be and with the amount i am now feeding would you say that is about right or a bit much.Shes a beautiful girl and has truly melted my heart like Daisy and Rosie too so like us all i dont want to hurt in any way by overfeeding her she is only 20 months so i thought i had better do something with certain while she is still my great big hairy baby.Your comments would be a great guidance for me.

Hi Brian,

Both my boys have 110 grams of Burns kibble - just once a day. This seems to be just the right amount to keep them nice and trim. Lately they have been getting just frozen green beans as a topping.

I only alter the amount as follows:
No exercise - they get 100 grams
More than normal exercise - they get 120 grams

Frozen green beans or freeze dried carrots are great as a treat if you want to cut down the cals :)

Hi merlinsmum
Thanks for your reply and guidance as i said i have been giving Poppy about 150 g made up of Burns High Oats kibble with a bit of RC kibble topped by Burns lamb and rice moist with a squirt of Kronch salmon oil and a similar serving for Diasy and Rosie but to a max of 100 g.I shall now cut Poopy back to 100 g but i will feel awful but i know its for her own good just hope i have the will power to keep it up ,with her being that much bigger than the other two i will try and target 11-12 kilo thats from 15.3 k ,how long do you think that will take and do you think thats still too much weight.

I liked Karlins suggestion about food bowls being too big. My two have big bowls and I always feel mean and add a tiny bit more so I have started feeding them in smaller bowls and it does make a difference fore me

Hi Brian,

You need to be looking at the target weight - which is why the smaller amount looks "mean". As Karlin and TillyTommy have suggested try smaller bowls - it really does make a difference to "YOU".

Also add some frozen green beans on top - my two love them:)

Back