• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Multi-Cav Owners - I need your HELP!

Claire,

thats what we all call just plain GREEDY LOL! :) xxx

perhaps a little space for a 3rd might appear????? the jump from 2 to 3 isn't a big one!

Alison.

Claire,

thats what we all call just plain GREEDY LOL! :) xxx

perhaps a little space for a 3rd might appear????? the jump from 2 to 3 isn't a big one!

Alison.
:lol:

Have you seen the price of doggy minding here :eek: it's nearly €400 for two weeks for two dogs.

Still though, I wont rule anything out icon_whistling

The only downside for us although it is manageable is the feeding time (they have to be fed seperately) other than that i would agree with everyone else that they love company!

You are the best judge of your dog, how do they react around other dogs?

Some dogs do prefer being an only dog:)

Just about the only downside is the chance of higher vets fee's if they are both ill at the same time.

Basically if you have room for one then you have room for 2! Don't buy 2 beds the same size, just buy a bigger bed as they will cuddle up together, basically your pleasure will be doubled! Don't worry about loving one more than the other it won't happen, they all have their own little personalities and their own quirky little ways! :lol:

Like Bruce I will allow puppy buyers who already own a Cavalier to bring their dog along to help "choose" the puppy if they want to, but on the whole Cavaliers rub along together fantastically well, they are pack animals at the end of the day! My parents have 3 and I am in the 10+ bracket being a breeder, I can mix my dogs around (they are caged at night) without worrying that they won't get along, in the daytime they all pile into the huge dogbed in the kitchen and it's a case of where does one end and another start? :rotfl:

You want another Cavalier?? I say "Go for it!" :lol:

We just added another Cavalier puppy about 6 weeks ago, and I'm so glad we have 2 now! I had the same concerns you did, and posted a similar message here...Miles was 10 months when we added a 3 month old puppy, and although Miles was completely obsessed with Truman for the first few days (it was like they were glued together!), he got used to the new puppy, and now they're best friends. Truman is still crated during the day when we're not home, and as soon as we walk in the door Miles sprints to the crate, and it's like he's saying "let my toy out!" They cuddle up together, play together, chase each other, and just really like being near each other. It's not much extra work - you're already feeding 1, it just takes a few extra minutes/seconds to prepare another meal...We also have 2 cats, and they all get along great :p I say go for it! Here are a few pictures of Miles and his little brother (they're actually half brothers) Truman:

The day we brought him home - Miles couldn't get close enough!
2369076052_e01339bee5.jpg

Best friends :luv:
2369078630_4e471676b9.jpg

Dinnertime!
2369077542_96f9f5932e.jpg

Naptime!
2368244055_d1867c1ed0.jpg

Good Night :slp:
2357427955_f38bbbc10b.jpg

cy1266 - You have the most adorable pair:) I have such a weakness for B/T's and closely followed by the Rubys. Wonderful pictures

Well, I guess you know what my opinion is with 14 dogs :wink:. But seriously, I really think that if you got another one, both dogs would benefit. I agree with everything that has been said by others. Even if I were not breeding, I would never have any less than 2.

One thing that I would add if you decide to get a puppy. I know some breeders will disagree with me, but we have had good success with having the puppy people bring their Cavalier (we only do this with Cavaliers and with other conditions) when they come to visit their new puppy. The people's puppy and Cavalier may not get along real well, but it will give the Cavalier a chance to smell the puppy and possibly remember the puppy when it's brought into the new home. We have tried this as an experiment 3 or 4 times and the people said the get-aquainted period when the puppy came home was very short. This is definately something you would have to clear with your breeder first. And don't be offended if they don't want to.

Elja came with me to visit the pupps twice and the Silva came to visit us for a couple of hours befor moving in.
Its amazing how well the transition went....
This pic is taken when Silva came to visit us a week before she moved in.She ate,took a tour of the house and the found her nest:eek:)
20071117115433_13.jpg

Elja and Silva both behaved like they´d been together forever :eek:
So this was a succes for us at least!

Thanks Lynn for starting this thread as we are going to add another cav puppy in the summer. We have been to visit the breeder and are just waiting for her to confirm her girl is actually expecting. If everything is successful :xfngr: the puppy/ies will be born 1st May. I really hope everything goes to plan and we get our girl we want as a companion for us and our 1 year old Sally. Sally loves other dogs and hopefully will be made up with a sister! I can imagine the insurance and vet bills being the most costly. The food is more cost effective in bigger bags anyway. My concern is how easy is it to walk two dogs together? Any advice regarding this from members with more than one cav?

Love it! Thanks for posting this thread. Our girl is almost 5 months old and we are talking about getting another...we want a ruby girl. I do have a question though: is there a rule as far as when is a good time to add another pup? Someone told me we should do it before she turns a year old.

IF you have the patience, the time and the money-- any time the pup of your dreams comes by-- is a good time.

I love having a multi dog home.... there is always work (nails,baths, vet visits), but there is a lot of love.

My mother had a king charles for years. Now she is 9 years old and my mother saw this other dog that was not being treated very well as a puppy. A relation of mine had her and she was a bishon frise. She was left outside day and night because the children were afraid of her!!!!! When my mother was babysitting she saw this happening and the little bishon was soaked to the skin and not left in until ten every night. My mother said that she would buy the dog and paid the full amount that they had paid for her as a puppy. My mother was very careful putting rosie and the other little one together. (dont want to mention too many names incase i get into trouble). But with time and patience what it has done is ...........Take years off the 9 year old cav,:luv: who was after getting old looking and tired and slightly heavy. Now she looks years younger and is running around the back with the other little one....and obviously along with that of course the little bishon frise has now a lovely life!!!! Compared to what she would have had if my mother didnt care!!!!:)

:thnku:You guys are great!!! Thank you so much for sharing your multi-cavalier experiences with me. I really appreciate everyone's input and I especially love the pics. I'm more convinced now than ever that we definitely need to expand our family - I will keep you posted!

....and as soon as we walk in the door Miles sprints to the crate, and it's like he's saying "let my toy out!"
Ha! That's what I feel like when I get up from bed and as soon as I get to the bathroom I hear the little ball with a bell in it that Beauregard's dropping behind me. He figures I'm up... it must be time to play! :D

Iam defo a multi dog home. I have 9 cavaliers and 1 cocker spaniel. They all get on great. Their ages are two 11year olds, one aged 10, one 8 1/2, two 5, one 4 and go to 2 one year old brothers. My cocker boy is 9 1/2. They are good company for me and company for each other when Im at work. They mostly sleep in one big lump all snuggled together. I wouldnt be without my cavaliers. They are both boys and girls. Theres nothing in this world like the greeting a group of cavalier when you come home...heaven. I recommend multi cavaliers as long as you have the time for grooming, exercise and most of all money for all health care.:)

Back