• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Multi-Cav Owners - I need your HELP!

BrodieSkyward

Are two Cavaliers better than one???

I've finally got my hubby considering adding another cavalier to our family. I've always wanted a companion for Brodie. He is the greatest...I can't imagine life without him. I believe adding another Cavalier to our household will make my life a little easier too by eliminating my constant worry while I'm gone. I'm with Brodie most of the time but I actually have "separation anxiety" when I'm away from him. Knowing that he has a little buddy to hang out with would help alleviate my stress...and I know Brodie would love it!

What is your experience? What are the pros and cons of having two Cavaliers compared to just one?

p.s. I will be showing him your posts :wink:

I believe my dogs like being in a multidog home. There are a couple that would prefer FEWER dogs than we have-LOL

I don't have two cavaliers, but I do have 3 dogs. I always feel better leaving them together. When I come home, even though they all have their own beds they are always cuddled up together......I don't feel nearly as guilty leaving them when they have each other. Judy and Dixie

Are two Cavaliers better than one???

I actually have "separation anxiety" when I'm away from him. Knowing that he has a little buddy to hang out with would help alleviate my stress...and I know Brodie would love it!

:

I have 3 now and I think it's great..but I still worry about them when I am not at home with them......I really need to remember they are dogs not babies!

I have three cavaliers. I will always have at least two - I think they're great companions to each other! :luv::luv::luv:

I have 3 cavaliers....and just about 6 weeks ago added the third. (a puppy mill rescue) I had been worried that adding a third would upset the bond between Molly & Max....it has done nothing but enrich all of our lives. One week ago Nora had to go to the vets for a full day there to have a tooth pulled and have a dental cleaning along with a few other things....so our Nora was not with us for about 9 hours. We missed her sooooo much!!!! It was so quiet and sad with her away.

So...my answer is...two are better than one....and three are better than two!!! Although...I am NOT going to keep adding Cavaliers to see if it gets better and better.... three is all we can afford.

I have a 6-month old blenhaim. I am already thinking of convincing the wife that we should have another one next year :luv::luv:. Today I went to see a lady who may dog sit my Cav. once in a while in her house. She has SIX Cavaliers! They are all hers. She must be in haven!

Last edited:
Two is great, but bear in mind that unless you have a very placid, laid back Cav at the moment, there will be an adjustment process. They react differently. Some will fall in love with each other immediately; some will enjoy the company, and then look at you as if to say "Right, I've had my fun. Tell it to go home!". With others it may take 6 months to a year before they genuinely settle together. I found that introducing Amber really shook Holly out of her settled ways - she's much more active around the house than she was pre-Amber, although I notice she's developed this sneaky habit of letting Amber race for the item when playing fetch - and then tackling her when she's nearly reached me and pinching it!

Our household has been a multi-dog home for decades now and I would never go back to just having one dog.

Dogs are pack animals and they are so much more happy when they have someone to snuggle up with all the time... even when you need to go do the grocery shopping.

I honestly can not think of a single disadvantage to owning two dogs (at least 2 small dogs). Can be a bit difficult to travel with 2 large dogs... but little... no worries. :D

boelvis4.jpg

This is the day we brought Elvis home. Beauregard is 3 months older. Notice the "how could you?" look... and the smug satisfaction of the 12 week old puppy. :p

Beau moped for a couple days, but they're the best of pals now and almost insperarable. I've taken both of them when only one needs to go somewhere just so the other doesn't have to sit at the gate and carry on.

A multi dog home just HAS to be better than a 1 dog home! watching interaction and dog games along with different personalitess is great. Every little one is so different.

I have two Shelties and three adult Cavaliers with a baby due (with paws!) in early May....each doing their own thing like training and agility, it's nice to be in a circle of like minded dog friendly people enjoying their dogs and the social circle that comes along with it.

We wouldn't have it any other way...enjoy :).

Alison.

I was for years a 1 dog house hold but 3 years ago my daugthers dog came to stay and we then had 2 I lost my Rocky 2 years ago and Jazzie kept looking for him so we got Barney a 14 week old pup then in the november Karlin said that they needed a home for a cavalier that might not have long to live so along came Sam
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

I am fairly new to dog ownership - having only got Suki(my first dog ever!!!) last february I worried about leaving her and still do but it is easier now we have two as i dont feel she will be lonely when i'm not there.
I found that after getting Ralphie she became more of a dog again - we have 2 cats aslo and i'm sure she was taking on their feline behaviour!!
I feel that Suki & Ralphie have made our home complete - not sure if the cats feel the same!!
I think i will probably always have more than one dog now.
Rules and boundaries are more important though - i spoiled Suki before Ralph came along but now have to be a little (not much:eek:) firmer and if you dont use one already get a crate - its invaluable;)

Slight Downside is increased cost, 2 lots of insurance!! 2 lots of poo to clean up!! food bill not much different though.
Good luck with your choice :paw:

three dogs

Hi

I have three cavaliers - had one cavalier and one puli - lost the puli and added two cavaliers about a month ago now. They all got along great from the moment they met - I love having three - they all have different personalities and they always have a playmate.

The main difference it has made has been dog hair - I have to hoover twice a day really, increased muck in the garden but hey ho if you're clearing up you're clearing up it only takes an extra minute, I dont holiday without them so that doesnt affect me but if you were to then you need to bear in mind the cost of care, and pet insurance obviously adds to the cost - vets bills, vaccs etc.

From a will the dogs be happy - I would say my eldest cavalier is happy with the two new additions than he was with the Puli and certainly happier than he was when in the 'interim' period and he was alone and depressed

Hope you add to your numbers - you'll never look back

Maxine

Dogs prefer the company of other dogs too, ours pile on top of each other in bed, even though there are plenty of empty spare ones!!!

So, i think they like dog company. They do much better in pairs.

Evan

I agree with everybody :) I don´nt see many cons in having more than one.But lots of pros.....doubble pleasure :eek:)
Of course it does cost a little more to have two or more but in terms of food and stuff I think its cheaper to have 2 or 3 cavis than 1 German Shepard :D
I have two girls and there will never be just 1 again:eek:) And knowing myself I´ll probably get a B/T too one day:p
Cavaliers are like chocolate,1 is never enough:luv:

black and tan

Oooh yes I would love a black and tan too - I have a tri and two blenheims at the moment....

Well, I guess you know what my opinion is with 14 dogs :wink:. But seriously, I really think that if you got another one, both dogs would benefit. I agree with everything that has been said by others. Even if I were not breeding, I would never have any less than 2.

One thing that I would add if you decide to get a puppy. I know some breeders will disagree with me, but we have had good success with having the puppy people bring their Cavalier (we only do this with Cavaliers and with other conditions) when they come to visit their new puppy. The people's puppy and Cavalier may not get along real well, but it will give the Cavalier a chance to smell the puppy and possibly remember the puppy when it's brought into the new home. We have tried this as an experiment 3 or 4 times and the people said the get-aquainted period when the puppy came home was very short. This is definately something you would have to clear with your breeder first. And don't be offended if they don't want to.

One thing that I would add if you decide to get a puppy. I know some breeders will disagree with me, but we have had good success with having the puppy people bring their Cavalier (we only do this with Cavaliers and with other conditions) when they come to visit their new puppy. The people's puppy and Cavalier may not get along real well, but it will give the Cavalier a chance to smell the puppy and possibly remember the puppy when it's brought into the new home. We have tried this as an experiment 3 or 4 times and the people said the get-aquainted period when the puppy came home was very short. This is definately something you would have to clear with your breeder first. And don't be offended if they don't want to.

I think this is a really good idea - in agreement with the breeder
The breeder we got Ralph from said we could bring Suki round to meet him but we had to carry her as she was unsure how the mum would react, I did this - not sure if Suki was impressed or if it made much difference as she was too preoccupied with being carried - she doesn't like it!! She did give him a good sniffing test though!
I had no problems when we brought Ralphie home and i'm sure she doesn't (as we certsainly cant) imagine life without him:luv:

Hello
I am owned by three cavalier girls Poppy a B & T aged 20 months ,Daisy a Blnheim aged 14 months and Rosie a Ruby who is 8 months and we all get on superbly ,also we have two white cats who fully interact with the girls and even pinch their beds for a snooze if any becomes available.:dogwlk:

Back