• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trip to London?

Harvey

I am taking the kids on a trip to London as my youngest has been nagging to see Buckingham Palace for so long I finally gave in.

We are taking the train as i dont like driving in London but i was wondering....

I do not think Buckingham Palace will take all that long to see - has anyone got any ideas of good places to visit that dont cost the earth to get in as money is alittle tight... I rarely go to London as i'm more of a country bumpkin!

I have two daughters 7 and 10

Not certain, but I think most of the Museums are free ... I love the National Gallery and it's by donation.

I've heard that they have some great walking tours that aren't expensive, you could check to see if any would be of interest to your children.

Could you have a "short history lesson" using a picture book before the trip and then take them to some of their favourite places?

I'd get a bus pass and hit the highlights...if the weather is nice, you could break up the trip by going to Green Park and/or Hyde Park....maybe take some snacks and let them run off some steam.

The Big Bus Company is a bit pricey but it's hop off, hop on and does a great job of showing you all the sights.

Just a few ideas.

Have a great time! :)

I take it you will be coming in to waterloo?

well the first stop should be to the london eye which just outside of waterloo.

You can book your tickets before hand as well.

Then cross the river to see Big Ben, houses of parliament and Westminster abbey. Then walk up whitehall, past No. 10 and the Cenotaph to Trafalgar square and then make your way to Buck house.

That sure keep you busy for a while. :)

Bit pricey but Madame Tusards (sp), we took the kids couple of weeks ago and they loved it!

On our day trip to London, we had a very affordable lunch - we bought sandwiches and bottled drinks at Marks & Spencers in Victoria Station, then carried our food to a little park across the street and sat on a bench to eat, watching the world go by. :) Hyde Park is lovely; we enjoyed a walk along the Serpentine lake to the Diana memorial. And it's free - no admission charge! Afterwards we had tea in the Orangery and saw Kensington Palace.

I used to work as a Tour Guide in London. Go to the Science Museum in South Kensington. It is free and very kid friendly. You don't need to be overly interested in science to find it fascinating. It has some really good galleries for kids where they can play around, touch things, conduct experiments, watch science shows etc. There are some good guided tours there as well. The one around the space glalery is particlarly fascinating for smallies. You'll easily lose a whole day there! HTH:)

Back