• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

having holidays

rocky

what does everyone do with their dogs when they go away on holiday as we are thinking about going away in the summer but don't know what to do with vegas, ideally i would love for him to go to someone who knows and loves cavaliers and would be there to spend a lot of time with him as he is not used to being on his own

when we go away we leave the dogs with the breeder who we bought them off.not all breeders offer this service so family friend or boarding kennel are other options

We usually put our two with my parents.. they have dogs themselves and so far they are always willing to take our two fury friends in..

Not sure what we'll do when we have 3 or 4 :rolleyes: but that are problems for then.. Ideally I would like to have at least one vacation a year where we can take them with us :D

Ours go to my nans, we lost my grandad recently so she loves the company. They do come back a little spoilt though! she lets them get away with allsorts!! it's like a holiday for them too!

Having 10 dogs no -one wants to look after them for me so I can have a holiday and I wont put them in kennels so- I dont have a holiday, haven't had a holiday for years. I do however look after dogs I have bred so their owners can holiday :rolleyes: when I ask if they will take mine for me the just look :eek: and think Ive flipped!!!:)

we only go camping so ours all ways come with us although if i dont go with my family then they do stay at home with me lol

but we rarley go on holiday without them lol

Having 10 dogs...

...when I ask if they will take mine for me the just look :eek: and think Ive flipped!!!:)

I did just that, I looked after 22 dogs for my breeder, including 4 new puppies. Never again, it was too much work for one person!

I used to let Dylan's breeder look after him but when I looked after her dogs, I took Dylan and he hid under the table for 4 days. Now he goes to someone who looks after him in their own home, they have been doing this for 10 years and are very good. They are professional dog walkers and they are insured etc. The idea is they treat your dog like their own. This year they are booked up so Dylan is going to one of their employees who has been dog minding for 7 years. I hope it goes as well as last time. It's expensive though at £16 a day.

Last edited:
I did just that, I looked after 22 dogs for my breeder, including 4 new puppies. Never again, it was too much work for one person!

I used to let Dylan's breeder look after him but when I looked after her dogs, I took Dylan and he hid under the table for 4 days. Now he goes to someone who looks after him in their own home, they have been doing this for 10 years and are very good. They are professional dog walkers and they are insured etc. The idea is they treat your dog like their own. This year they are booked up so Dylan is going to one of their employees who has been dog minding for 7 years. I hope it goes as well as last time. It's expensive though at £16 a day.

When my friend went to her sons wedding I looked after her 7 and her daughters two for a week.... 19 dogs. I coped real well just have to have a system Feeding time the first day was a bit manic but after that I had it down to an art.:)

My Mum moves in and looks after mine!! :hug: Where would you be without your Mum eh?? :lol:

Ha ha, good to see Im not the only one who calls on good old Mum! :D I have to say - mines a star. She moves into our house too any time we go away. She brings her two miniature daschunds with her, so the place can get a bit manic - but the dogs get on great so its brilliant. Dont think I could ever even comtemplate leaving mine into boarding kennels, so would defo' be lost without Mam!

Our first dog used to go to my parents house daily whilst we went to work and was never left on his own- holidays were the same. When we got our current dog we were all a lot older and whilst we thought the deal would be the same, unfortunately my dad couldnt cope with him- hes a very lively tri!
So now he goes to the kennels when we go on holiday. We searched around though and had a few overnight try outs before we left him for any length of time and found one that was perfect. the staff are wonderful, its in a great location and he gets plenty of walks. He always comes back healthy and never sulks! Its a big weight off!
However I would think long and hard about getting another under these circumstances- I'm certainly not forfeiting an annual hols!

Ours go to a lovely local kennels aswell. They love it there and its like a mini holiday for them too!!

With 2 young children we NEED holidays!! :rofl:

We are going away in May & as Maddy was a rescue I was reluctant to put her into boarding kennels, so a very good friend is going to have her. She has a huge, soppy black lab who Maddy adores! We go walking together & my friend is very dog friendly. Of course I shall still worry, but I'm sure she'll be fine & my friend knows I will text & phone all the time :). Judy x

Hello
We have booked a big cottage for late June in its own five acre secured garden near Alnwick ,Northumberland and its way out in the country so the girls are coming on that holiday but my cats are going to their special cattery for a week of quiet reflection away from the girls.And in mid August its a similar holiday near the Wye Valley S Wales in another big country cottage but Dawn wants just the humans to go then so i have booked the girls into a friends kennels but unkown to Dawn i asked the cottage owner if he will allow the girls to come to that cottage as well ,so i think i will see what happens in June and maybe a bit of open cash bribary and the girls might come on that one as well , but the cats again into a cattery.Mentioning my cats Ami who is about 14/15 has lately been doing the odd wee in the house and Dawn told me shes been very thirsty of late so next week off to the vets to find out what ,but i think its probaly one of three things ,thyroid gland ,kidneys,or possibly diabetes but whatever it is shes part of the family so we will treat it to our best,we have had her longer than Luke

Hello
We have booked a big cottage for late June in its own five acre secured garden near Alnwick ,Northumberland and its way out in the country so the girls are coming on that holiday but my cats are going to their special cattery for a week of quiet reflection away from the girls.And in mid August its a similar holiday near the Wye Valley S Wales in another big country cottage but Dawn wants just the humans to go then so i have booked the girls into a friends kennels but unkown to Dawn i asked the cottage owner if he will allow the girls to come to that cottage as well ,so i think i will see what happens in June and maybe a bit of open cash bribary and the girls might come on that one as well , but the cats again into a cattery.Mentioning my cats Ami who is about 14/15 has lately been doing the odd wee in the house and Dawn told me shes been very thirsty of late so next week off to the vets to find out what ,but i think its probaly one of three things ,thyroid gland ,kidneys,or possibly diabetes but whatever it is shes part of the family so we will treat it to our best,we have had her longer than Luke

Alnwick is just up the road from where live - well about 30 miles away, its a lovely place. I hope you have a lovely time.:)

Alnwick is just up the road from where live - well about 30 miles away, its a lovely place. I hope you have a lovely time.:)

We live about 50 miles from Alnwick in Co Durham. Whereabouts are you?

Anyway, holidays :). This year we're going to Little Dumpledale farm in West Wales for 2 separate weeks, taking all dogs with us :).

We've also just bought an oldish touring caravan, so we can get away for weekends with the gang.

Apart from that, occasionally a friend will house and dog-sit so OH and I can go away for a weekend together. Mainly all hols are based around the dogs though :)

We live about 50 miles from Alnwick in Co Durham. Whereabouts are you?

Anyway, holidays :). This year we're going to Little Dumpledale farm in West Wales for 2 separate weeks, taking all dogs with us :).

We've also just bought an oldish touring caravan, so we can get away for weekends with the gang.

Apart from that, occasionally a friend will house and dog-sit so OH and I can go away for a weekend together. Mainly all hols are based around the dogs though :)

I live in Wallsend ,sorry to digress.:)

Back