• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppys Diet Week 1

Brian M

Hello
Having cut Pops down to 2x75 gr for the first four days then taking advice from merlinsmum for the rest of the week shes had 2x60 gr,the other good spin off naturally is that Daisy and Rosies calorie intake is now also controlled but as they are not overweight with them i just want to stabilise them before they develop any excess weight .So after the first week we go to Poppys weigh in which she now stands at 15.3 kilo ! exactly the same as last week ,oh well i suppose we can view it as a success in that she has stabilised and not increased but she is definately more interested in her food unlike before we started when her attitude seemed to be "well if i dont eat it all now theres always more later if i want it" so now i can see she is still visibly hungry after her meals. Apart from Burns High Oats and Royal Canin Medium Light what other low or non calorie food items can i add just to fill her tum merlinsmum suggested green beans and or carrots is there any thing else you could suggest to give poor old Poppy some enjoyable variation and what do you think about adding a bit of quality fish based wet food like Applaws or Schesir tuna dog food.This week its going to be 2x55 grammes,and i will see if i can find some smaller food bowls.

In regards to feeding fish, I feed mine canned mackerel or a few sardines every once in awhile and they seem to love them. As for other treats, what about marrow bones? They also keep them occupied for quite some time ;)

What about adding some bran to her diet, that should help to bulk her up and make her feel more satisfied for longer

Brian,

Now you have a controlled food amount (which I know it sounds harshe but maybe 2 X 60 g is still a little too much) You need to step up the exercise. Perhaps keep 10g back from one of the meals and use the kibble as treats - so she is still getting the same but having to work for it.

BTW you don't want the weight to drop rapidly - so no movement in weight for a week is okay - least Pops hasn't gained any:D

Hi
Missed week 2 I jumped to week 3 ,just weighed Pops and hurray progress is being made, just a bit shes down from 15.3 to 14.9 ,its not a lot but its something .Daisy and Rosie decided after a quick vote and out of sympathy to join her so they all have similar meals of Royal Canin Light some small pieces of chopped up turkey (no fat) a squirt of Kronch salmon oil and made up with green beans and a few little pieces of raw carrot , and later as a treat maybe 3 or 4 Barker & Barker Liver Treats as they are only tiny. ,I give Poppy exactly 65 grammes in the morning and same at night and Daisy and Rosie proportionally similar and its now amazing watching Poppy clear her bowl and then look round for more and twelve months ago i used to sit on the floor spoon feeding them all ,worried that they were not eating enough so its a big thank you to the forum for all the guidance that has been provided on my Cavalier learning experiance and on with Poppys diet to her healthy target weight of 11.5 kilo ,i realise thats still heavy for a cavalier but shes a big girl and when we get there we may revaluate.

oh you are doing really well. Try to build up the exercise gradually too - increase the distance a little every day, that will really help with getting the weight off.

you can make the food last longer by putting it in a dispensing toy, this also works the brain a bit!

If you can separate the dogs, you can even scatter kibble for them to find - another good game.

Frozen sweetcorn - the loose kernels, NOT on the cob, is great for filling them up - just "reappears" undigested!! Also rice cakes- you can get organic unsalted ones, these are great for filling them up, very low in calories/protein.

Keep us posted on the progress :)

Back