• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how often to treat

rocky

how often do you worm them and treat them for fleas he was done for both about 3 weeks ago at the vet and what is the best treatment to buy is it ok to get at pet shop are they as effective. also i washed vegas a week ago and used flea shampoo it brought his coat up lovely and shiny and it seems to have worked could i use this every time i wash him as well as giving him his treatment

We worm Sally every 3 months with Drontal Plus tablet and use Frontline to prevent fleas every 1-2 months. This is what our vet advises but I think different vets from different areas may recommend different flea and worm schedules. From what I've heard I don't think petshop flea and worm treatments are as effective as ones from a vet. We buy our Frontline and Drontal Plus online from pharmacies such as
www.vet-medic.com. Hope this helps

Drontal Plus and Frontline here too, I have never used pet store medications on my cavvies - I don't think they work as well as the stuff from the Vet.

We use Frontline spot on (fortnightly here for ticks) which only need be applied monthly for fleas. Puppies get wormed monthly until 6 months & then from there on every 3 months. We use Drontal all wormer. For heartworm we use Proheart tablets monthly.

I had no idea the dogs should be wormed- I thought only puppies had this problem! I give mine Advantix topical for ticks & a monthly heartworm pill, but nothing for regular worms. My vet has never mentioned anything about it!

I use advantix for flea control every month and milbemax for worm prevention every three months. I get these from the vets.

Why is everyone worming all the time? I only worm little puppies, once they are in their new home, worms are usually not a problem until they are one. We don't have a flea problem here in Michigan thank goodness, my dogs have never had one.

I didn't know you were supposed to routinely give a de-worming pill every three months? I just bring in a stool sample when we visit the vet for routine checkups on the glands or whatever, they check for parasites at that time. We have always been negative for internal parasites so far.:xfngr:

We use Advantage for fleas, spot treatment once a month. Will be changing to Frontline Plus to include tick control once we start traveling with her into areas that are known to harbor ticks.

you are NOT supposed to. Maybe they do things differently abroad, but you don't worm unless there is a problem

I'd hate it if I was giving my two worm tablets needlessly, I buy mine from the vets on a years prescription (its cheaper this way) and the advice the vet gives, is to give the tablets every three months, I just thought this is normal I've never questioned the vet, but I'll bring it up next time I visit.

I was told every 3 months by my vet and it says on worming products, i too would be unhappy if i thought i was doing this and i should'nt be!!

worming

My boys turned 6 months lasst week. I got them when they were 4 months old and they had already gone throught the "puppy deworming process" before I got them. I took them to the vet's office with stool sample in hand and one tested positive for coccidia---so of course both the boys had to be treated. Six weeks ago, both sample of stool were clean of all parasites. Then, this past weekend, Darcy vomited a 4" long roundworm (sign of a massive infestation), and his poo (one again) tested positive for coccia (which as it turns out was still in poo last time, but the numer was too low to detect). Now they areboth on dewormer (Pancur) x 3 days, then again in 2 weeks and another round of Albon. Worms are very easy for any mammal, particularly puppies to pick-up. Mine are cleaned and spoiled, but LOVE romping around in the back yard and going for long walks. My vet stated that it is best to check every few month until this is completely clear, then just deworm over the years as necessary. My old Cocker spaniel was 15 when he died and had just been dewormed several months before he died because he had picked up worms. Puppies and older/sicker dogs have lower immunitites to parasites.

Back