Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how often to treat

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know you were supposed to routinely give a de-worming pill every three months? I just bring in a stool sample when we visit the vet for routine checkups on the glands or whatever, they check for parasites at that time. We have always been negative for internal parasites so far.

We use Advantage for fleas, spot treatment once a month. Will be changing to Frontline Plus to include tick control once we start traveling with her into areas that are known to harbor ticks.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

you are NOT supposed to. Maybe they do things differently abroad, but you don't worm unless there is a problem

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hate it if I was giving my two worm tablets needlessly, I buy mine from the vets on a years prescription (its cheaper this way) and the advice the vet gives, is to give the tablets every three months, I just thought this is normal I've never questioned the vet, but I'll bring it up next time I visit.
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

I was told every 3 months by my vet and it says on worming products, i too would be unhappy if i thought i was doing this and i should'nt be!!
    Katie, mum to ruby 9 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Default worming

My boys turned 6 months lasst week. I got them when they were 4 months old and they had already gone throught the "puppy deworming process" before I got them. I took them to the vet's office with stool sample in hand and one tested positive for coccidia---so of course both the boys had to be treated. Six weeks ago, both sample of stool were clean of all parasites. Then, this past weekend, Darcy vomited a 4" long roundworm (sign of a massive infestation), and his poo (one again) tested positive for coccia (which as it turns out was still in poo last time, but the numer was too low to detect). Now they areboth on dewormer (Pancur) x 3 days, then again in 2 weeks and another round of Albon. Worms are very easy for any mammal, particularly puppies to pick-up. Mine are cleaned and spoiled, but LOVE romping around in the back yard and going for long walks. My vet stated that it is best to check every few month until this is completely clear, then just deworm over the years as necessary. My old Cocker spaniel was 15 when he died and had just been dewormed several months before he died because he had picked up worms. Puppies and older/sicker dogs have lower immunitites to parasites.
    Amanda3137 (Proud mama of a ruby and black and tan cav!)