• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

smelly lips!

cavalierlover301

I was holding Charlie the other day and his face smelled really bad and at first I thought it was his ears but it was his lips. Today my little sister gave him a cheese cracker with peanutbutter and some of it was still like tucked in his lips cause they like hang down. Anyone else have this problem?thanks!

Yes it can be a problem if they have lots of folds in their lips, but easily resolved if you wash the area every day, with a wet flannel, also remember to clean the teeth regularly.

In addition to wiping his face (can use a dampened paper towel), you might want to use stainless steel water bowls rather than plastic, if you aren't already. Plastic bowls can harbor bacteria, while stainless steel is considered to be antibacterial. We put the food and water bowls in the dishwasher daily.

Boxers are even worse than Cavaliers for facial folds, so all our guys get their faces wiped over with a warm, damp cloth after meals. And like Cathy, water dishes & dinner dishes go through the dishwasher daily.

we wash their dishes after evermeal. We use stainless steal for water but ceramic bowls for food. Thanks everyone! Well these guys are pretty high mantaince! I'm gunna wipe him off now after he eats. Thanks!!

Yes, it's very important to keep lips fold clean because that smelliness can turn into an ugly infection that is very hard to eradicate.

Mine all get a face wash each morning with a mild baby wash (Infacare) just a small drop in a bowl of warm water and a face cloth :) and in the evenings they all get their teeth cleaned. Keeps all the smells away!

Alison.

I'd actually suspect this isn't his lips to any significant degree but his gums and teeth. Cavaliers seem to be prone to having gum disease and there seems to be a genetic element but can also be due to diet (eg too much soft food, not enough hard crunchy items and chews). I have two half brother dogs the same age and one has great gums and teeth and one has had poor gums/teeth since he was under a year -- and they eat the same thing! So one seems to be genetically disposed to poor oral health.

Once they begin to get lots of tartar buildup, tooth decay and/or gum problems they also start to get a smelly mouth. The smelliness is a warning sign and usually indicates the dog needs a dental -- a teeth cleaning usually done under general anaesthesia -- or may even need some decaying teeth removed. It is important to keep this condition under control because poor oral health is linked directly to heart disease (in humans too!).

On prevention: brushing his teeth regularly -- at least a couple of times a week --will help a lot. Giving good chews that help clean the teeth is wise, too, and never feed primarily soft food.

I'd get a dog toothbrush and special dog paste from your vet and also next time you are in, have him/her check the condition of his mouth. Generally for brushing you have to star by just rubbing the paste with a finger along the teeth and gums and work up gradually to using the brush.

Does anyone on here use Logic Oral Hygiene gel - its supposed to be good enough if its applied to the teeth with a finger or the applicator, or licked off the paw can be used on dogs and cats. Obviously brushing is better but not always easy
We use it here daily and so far my two have lovely breath - unless they've beaten me to the cats litter tray!!!

Its quite expensive from the vet but upto half that price online

we wash their dishes after evermeal. We use stainless steal for water but ceramic bowls for food. Thanks everyone! Well these guys are pretty high mantaince! I'm gunna wipe him off now after he eats. Thanks!!

Gus has terrible breath sometimes even if I go just one day without brushing his teeth.He had to have his teeth cleaned when he was about 2 years old.He is (and always has been) on a good diet as is pippin and pippins teeth are fine.The vet had told me that gus may have a genitic problem with his teeth..something to do with saliva...he may be right as I brush their teeth every day and always wash in and under the gum flaps but while pippin is fine Gus looks like he'll be needing his teeth cleaned again soon.
I did try logic but found it just ok not great..I find brushing the teeth and gums with doggy toothpaste better. I was using my fingers for a good while as they wouldn't tolerate the brush,but I got a soft rubber finger brush a few weeks ago.

Back