• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on bringing home Puppy No 2

Hi Guys,

We are bringing our second puppy home on Friday. Milly is 9 months old and we're getting a little boy for company for her and us (Name still under negotiation!). Have you any advice as i know Milly will love a second dog around but want to make sure she doesn't get upset initially. I've heard that we should not introduce in our house but in a neutral location? Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!:p

We initially brought home some clothes that had the puppy's scent on it for Miles to smell and get used to his scent, and then a few days later introduced them at home. I'm not sure if that was the right way to do it, but it worked for us :eek:. I'm sure other members will have much better advice! Good luck!

I would suggest you simply give your first TONS of extra love and attention. My oldest was completely freaked when we brought the puppy and started trying to lay on my face at night and really hog me. But she got lots of xtra attention and eventually (about two weeks) got used to the idea.

They'll be fine and learn to love each other even if it doesn't seem like love at first sight!

Thanks Guys,

she definitely could smell him off my coat. We've also started to use his name a little so she gets used to it.

Thankfully there is two of us, I think we're going to have a busy weekend keeping both happy but really looking forward to it.

I'm sure it'll be a weekend-to-remember :)

I can't really remember how it was when we brought qwebble home but I think it went quite smooth since qwick is really my dog (I had him 3 years already before I met my boyfriend) and we decided that Qwebble would be David's dog.. so it basically came down to David taking care of the little one while I was paying Qwick some extra attention...

Not sure what would happen now if we brought home another pup :)
Qwick is quite the jealous type (although not so much of Qwebble any more) but I'm convinced it would be "interesting" at least ;)

I am interested in hearing how Milly takes to the new pup and how you decide to introduce them as we are hopefully getting a new puppy late this summer. Keep us updated and best of luck

She is still young herself and I'm sure after her initial hesitation she will take to the pup really well, probably an awful lot quicker than an older dog would.

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing all about their meeting and your new pup

Im sure Milly will be so excited, she is only a pup herself. Good luck. Take some pics of them after they have bonded.:)

I am soo excited myself! I don't think i'll sleep tonight. Will keep you posted over the weekend, thanks for all the advice.:p

It is usually quite easy to introduce another puppy to the pack. In my experience the puppy is usually full on delighted to meet the older dog, but sometimes the older dog can actually be scared of the puppy initially. Make sure that your older dog has somewhere safe to get away from the puppy if he is a bit annoying. They have needle sharp little teeth & are not the least bit phased about sinking them into the legs, ears & anything else of the other dog. Don't force them to sleep together in a crate or any other place where they can't get away from each other, until the puppy grows out of the bitey stage.

They will be the greatest of mates in no time though. :D

He's home! Max arrived yesterday. We introduced them on the green up from our house. Milly initally was very excited to see another dog but then got very frightened by him as he was chasing her around. After the initial hesitiation last night things are going well today. She's has started playing with him, a little too rough for my liking, but we're leaving them too it. I presume they need to create their own boundaries not one's imposed by us. He keeps taking all her toys, she doesn't know what to do, again we're leaving them at it as we don't want to start a "mine only" mentality. It's going better than i expected, we just need to master the toilet training now!!

Back