• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Belly covers / abdominal bandages

ourempire

Hi everybody.
I have written several posts about belly covers (or abdominal bandages, as they are called in "vet lingo"), but I thought I would gather all information in this one post.

We got an abdominal bandage when Molly was spayed, and it spared us for using a cone. Along with a tissue over her healing wound the bandage prevented her from licking or scratching the stitches.

522916151_6152943fb8.jpg

507985713_49af338fd6.jpg

507985721_ebcea94f70.jpg

I asked the vet, and I have found this company which provides vets with the covers:

http://www.kruuse.com

The product numbers are 162000 (small), 162002 (medium), 162004 (large), 162006 (Xlarge), 162008 (XXlarge). You just type the number in the "search" at the website.

The belly covers (or abdominal bandages) come in different sizes. They are normally sold to the vets in packages of 5.

The prize was more difficult, and I was told to underline that the prize is just estimated, since they normally sell to vets. In Danish kroner it varies from ca. 250-450 kr., depending on the size, for one package with five. This is ca. £22-40.

However, they can be used several times, they are washable (to 90 degrees) and flexible, and Molly did not even try to rip it off. When we had to wash it (she accidently peed on it a couple of times), she stood by me looking interested, and she was patient when we put it on her again.

But still: A creative person might easily be able to create them with a sewing machine. Just remember to use elastic strings. I tried to draw it. I am sorry I don't have the measurements, I happened to throw our own belly cover away!

2380253221_021e21e19e.jpg

Last edited:
That's really helpful, thank you.

I'm sure some of our more talented members would be able to make these - anyone feeling creative?

I bet if you were good at the sewing machine, you could sell one to each of us on this forum.:) It sure is something good to have.

What size did you use?

I found a local stockist and just need to tell them the size I want.

Bella is 5kgs at 5 months, so I'd imagine she will be about 5.5kgs when she has her spay in a month?

I can't remember Molly's size, but I think it was small or medium. She weighed 7 kg when she was spayed aged 8 months. But you can measure the lenght from her neck along the belly and down to where they pee - and that could give an indication of size needed, when you talk to the sales person.

I'm going to try sewing one. I'm trying to decide what type of fabric to use, maybe a lightweight knit.

If it works out, I will donate any profits to the SM study!

Back