• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie doesn't want to do the whole walk??

Rosewoodsteel

Charlie McFarlie has been stopping about halfway through our normal walk.
He often just stands around and sniffs. Perhaps with Spring approaching, it's all of the new smells in the air. He seems to be fine. He just doesn't want to walk. After I pet him and talk to him a while, he starts moving again.
I'm thinking it may have something to do with his puppia, as well, and may pick up another harness.
Any thoughts?

Jaspar sometimes just decides he isn't interested in going in a particular direction. I doubt it is his harness. Sometimes they'll stop if they have had enough -- eg the distance is too long (especially puppies and oldies when this should be respected) -- another possibility is he is experiencing some pain (has a vet seen him lately and checked for possible discomfort -- eg a luxatting patella for example). If he is regularly stopping and not wanting to walk I'd have the vet give him a once over.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain, Karlin.
While I'm petting him when he stops, I check his legs and feet, etc., and he doesn't indicate that anything is hurting.
The other evening, he was going at a snails pace for his walk, and he stopped a couple of times. When we were heading back, he put his nose to the ground as if he caught a wiff of something and it was "off to the races" :).
We live on a cul de sac and I'm wondering if he is just tired of doing the same walk all the time.
By the way, he is 5 years old now.

I find Holly tends to do this in response to either wet/windy weather, or a normal pavement walk. I notice she never does it when we're going somewhere she deems interesting! :lol:

I find Holly tends to do this in response to either wet/windy weather, or a normal pavement walk. I notice she never does it when we're going somewhere she deems interesting! :lol:

Lisa,
It has been windy lately.
As a matter of fact, it was pretty darn windy tonight.
I've noticed that Charlie doesn't much like the wind (maybe his ears are sensitive to it) and when it's windy, he sometimes wants to go back in to the house before we get out of the yard.

Last edited:
We have to switch up our walks as the dogs do get bored with the same old smells ect. Maybe Charlie just needs a change...or another canine friend to walk with?

Good point, Lynn.
Last week my brother came over with his Golden Retriever, Jackson.
(Charlie loves big dogs!)
When we did our walk, with his buddy Jackson leading the way, Charlie had no problem moving right along.

I'd love to switch up his walk, but if I take him the other direction, it leads to a well traveled and dangerous country road.
I'm afraid if Charlie is walked in that direction, he may wander over there if (heaven forbid) he ever got out of the house.
It's a bit of a dilemma, because if I don't walk him there, it will probably be the first place he goes to if he got away from us.

Last edited:
Back