• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hairless rings around eyes

ceasar

Hi, my CKCS (male, 6 months old) has had some hair falling out around his eyes. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experince, and what it could be.
Also, does anyone know the effects of Sodium laureth sulfate (in shampoos) on dogs? I am aware it makes hair fall out, and I am looking for a recipie for a more natural based shampoo I could make at home.

Thanks, and great forum here :)

There are a number of conditions that can made the hair fall out, so it is probably wise to take your boy to the vets and have it diagnosed.

I am not sure about anti-dandruff shampoos on dogs. My gut feeling is don't use it unless advised by the vet. Not all things that are medicinal for humans is safe to use on dogs, and we are certainly advised not to use human shampoo on dogs because it is a different pH. Also around the eyes you'd want to be especially careful. Most of these products come with warnings about not getting it in the eyes, and unlike humans we can't really tell the dog to keep his eyes tightly shut.

Let us know what the vet says about it? :flwr:

Your post made me think of a situation in James Herriot's book "All Things Great and Small" where a bunch of cows he treated had what he called "spectacles." Where their hair fell out in circles around their eyes. It was caused by some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency and was easily corrected.

So if it is significant, I would take him to the vet.

Also, I have never heard that sodium laureth sulfate makes hair fall out! It is a primary ingredient in most shampoos (at least for humans and probably for dogs). "Natural" shampoos generally talk about not having it and say it is drying. However, as someone with EXTREMELY oily hair all my life, I always use shampoos that have it. I read an article in a beauty magazine from some hair expert and he said "I hate to say this, and the industry will hate me, but if you have oily hair, you really should use the cheaper, drugstore shampoos, as they have the most SLS and they will get the oil out better."

Every time I have used a "natural" shampoo, I have been very disappointed. They don't clean my hair thoroughly, they don't rinse completely out, and they leave my hair limp. One example is Aveda (I don't know which variety it was -- I ended up throwing it out after using it about 3 times). I could stand under the shower for 45 minutes and that stuff would still never rinse out of my hair!

So anyway, if it is true that SLS makes your hair fall out, I am going to be very upset!!!! Is this something I've been missing and it has been making my hair fall out all these years?! My poor hair is thin and limp enough just from genetics, so I can't afford to lose any! I'm going to go Google right now! :eek:

thankyou

Hi guys,
Thanks for your input about my dogs spectacles! Its not all that bad, but I will go to the vet (first have to locate one in Thailand that doesn't operate purely on commission! Ever been to the doctor in a developing country??! drugs galore!)... Urhg! But always do my googling first!!
Self-education beats everything first, eh!
My spaniel (his name is "Spaniel", he loves it :luv:) He's looking very good, I noticed a little absence of hair at the corners of the eyes, and wasn't sure if it was natural or not.
I want to tell you a little about him, and what we have learnt.

We got him from a family who are considered 'experts in dogs', who suggested he 'eats only doggie kibble'. We were warned never to change his diet!!!!!! So, naturally, we did :D. We feed him only natural foods, (I can't believe the sh*t they put in the dog foods/kibble), and also add to his diet a little 'EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL' and one capsule of cold pressed (refridgerated) fresh fish oil. WOW! You should see his beautiful coat! :eek:

He is truely a stunningly healthy looking boy. I'm so proud of him :) Thanks for listening..... by the way.... yes, google for SLS and hair loss, also, if you're a woman, throw out any of your body/face creams with 'parabens' in them! My girlfriend got some expensive cream as a gift, had methyl paraben in it, and one month later she had to go to hospital for CRAZY mensturation cramps and pain.... since we stopped, never happened again. (Actually, I convinced her to now toss out all the creams, and only use a tiny bit of extra virgin coconut oil on her body, and rub it in well. Her skin looks outstanding! beautiful tone, complexion and sheen with the coconut oil. I should sell it eh!
My CKCS changed my life! Thank you, "Spaniel"... I love you:)

Back